Share The All-Purpose FISHEYE Thread

Exactly. I angled the camera and lens so that I'd capture the distortion of the fisheye lens..... I was standing right up next to the fence, actually, but, yeah, was surprised that the rest of the scene looked pretty normal. Interesting! This is not a circular fisheye, it's an 11mm lens which supposedly goes to 180 degrees or whatever, but it seems that the objects closest to the lens are the ones which are then distorted if the user points the camera and lens upward or downward, while the rest of the scene remains seems to remain fairly straightforward and normal looking. I was intrigued by this, too, both at the time of shooting and later at home when looking again at the image in the computer. I'll be doing some more experimentation with this.....

Except for the fence bars, you cant see other distortion typical of a fish!

That's for two reasons: Most of the other parts of the scene are quite distant and those are the parts that are always distorted the least; the closest parts of the scene are always distorted the most. The lens seems to have been positioned so it is pointing neither upward nor downward, resulting in the distant parts of the scene being devoid of perspective distortion.

Last edited:
Exactly! Actually, I did tilt the lens somewhat upward, but I also was standing literally right next to the fencing, but at an awkward angle due to some nearby plantings that I didn't want to step on and crush. I tilted the lens in order to increase the distortion, but yes, I think the fencing would have been distorted even if I'd pointed Nemo absolutely level and straight ahead at the pool. I also had the aperture set at f/16 for maximum focus coverage as well.

Took mine out to the lake on a misty morning.

7421-11-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Walk down to the boathouse.
7421-12-X2.jpg

3. Our old ride in her new house.
7421-13-X2.jpg

Although this thread is for current shots with a fisheye, I knew that somewhere in my archives I had at least one or two shots that I took way back when, many years ago, with the Nikon 10.5 fisheye, so browsed through the files until at last I found it! A fisheye view of the Tidal Basin in our Nation's Capitol at Cherry Blossom time, with a tiny little Jefferson Memorial..... Not quite sure why the EXIF doesn't reflect that this was the 10.5mm lens, but maybe back then in 2007 they were still improving their software for that, or the lens was new that year and they didn't yet have accurate coding for it. Also, if my memory is correct, this may have been the first time I ever used a fisheye, as I vaguely recall Rich Gibson letting me try his out when we were down there that day, and that is what inspired me to buy a fisheye of my own. I have yet to find more images, though!

62701517_DSC_4638b.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
i bought the Samyang 12mm f/2.8 fisheye lens early last year. I thought it would be a fun lens to have, and I had a special project in mind: the interior of the Pension Building in Washington DC, which now houses the National Building Museum, near my old office. I'm attaching an old, not well exposed or processed photo taken with a rectilinear Fuji lens to give an idea of this interior. But when I went there in February or March of 2020, the building turned out to be closed for repairs, and then Covid set in. Recently it has been reopened three days a week, and eventually I'll get back there later this year, when the sun will be lower in the late afternoon (it closes at 4pm) and will create interesting patterns of light and shade through the upper tier windows.

But I used the lens once or twice elsewhere, and found its rendering was rather flat and dull. Maybe I should get it out again and give it another chance.

15973357030_54813b5d30_w.jpg

Samyang 12mm f/2.8
WJW_7715.jpg

Last edited:
The fisheye works great for displaying the two alleys.

The last time I was in the National Building Museum was decades ago. The main room was completely empty except for one of the really large, green signs that is suspended over a large highway such as one in the Interstate system. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom