The Amazing Gift

I got a most wonderful Mother's Day present today from the most unlikely source.

We drove to Yellowstone today. We always try to go on the day before Mother's Day because the Grizzly Bears are down out of the high country. Today we stopped at an area where there were lots of photographers. But the bears were far away and out of sight there. I don't have one of the huge wildlife lenses. We drove on up the road and saw a couple of people looking at something so we stopped. I thought they were looking at a snow drift but one of them told us they had seen three grizzlies who just ran off. I turned around and couldn't believe my eyes. They were sitting on the edge of a cliff not too far from us. Because of their location we could get close without being in danger. It was such a thrill to watch them close up. Most of the people who were there just had point and shoot cameras. I had my D300 with the 70-200 f2.8 on it. This photo doesn't have too much cropping so you can see how close we were to them.

Sorry about the large watermark on the photo, but this one is special to me and I want to keep it from being stolen. The mother bear is one they call Quad Mom. She had four cubs, but only two made it.

Thank you Quad Mom for the wonderful gift you gave of posing your wonderful family so perfectly.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amazing photo Terri. Beautiful. It certainly pays to have the equpment and expertise to use it ready when opportunity knocks. 3-bears posing with 3-different inquisitive espressions. Maybe this one will win you a D800 and 80-400 !! :biggrin:

That composition is flawless, I think. Just goes to show that luck favors the prepared photographer. (And I'm pretty sure everyone understands the watermark...it certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment of the pic.)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom