The Approaching Storm.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by camerapapi, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Although June and September are the prime months for rain in South Florida, many times in July and August we have severe weather disturbances especially when low pressure areas lead to hurricanes heading our way. Fortunately, this approaching storm was not due to an approaching hurricane.
    In my book this is not a spectacular picture and I am using it just to prove two important points that could benefit the learning experience of younger photographers.
    1- Because the sky was a dark gray I used spot metering from the sky to base my exposure. It was right on.
    2- Because the purpose of the photograph was to show the angry sky, unwanted subject matter was eliminated so that the viewer could concentrate attention on the storm. This is an urban area; if I had been close to the ocean or near the Everglades, just to give you an example, I would have included more of the landscape because then the rest of the scenery would have been an important addition to the sky.
    When photographing it is as important what we include in the frame as what we leave out.

Approachingstorm.jpg

Nikon D2H.
    18-70 AF lens

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. Nice image, William. It certainly captures the storm clouds set off with the trees. I'd like to see a larger image when you post here.

3. as david said...... very nice
    but, please show us a larger version, if you can

4. Gentlemen you will have to help me and tell me what size I should be aiming for. Several members of the forums have asked me that I post larger images and honestly, I do not know how big should I go. These are usually 8x6 inches that I compress for use in the web and obviously, details are compromised. Please, keep in mind this is not an art shot but rather an illustration on composition with the purpose of educating younger photographers.
    Thank you for your help.
    William.

5. Hi William - Sent you a pm.