The art of intimidation

Gizmo, my Rott/Lab mix is an alpha female and it's rare to see her intimidated by the presence of another dog. She's not an aggessive animal but she certainly believes she's in charge of all things canine where ever we might be.

This evening we were getting ready to leave our favourite dog park when around the trail's bend up strolled the tallest Great Dane I've ever seen. Gizmo is not small at 85 lbs but this creature absolutely dwarfed her! It was an immature male and immediately took an interest in Gizmo which did not please her at all. Nika, my little Husky mix was completely enthralled with this gangly moose-like pooch.

Only got a few shots and those from the hip as the gathering was interrupted by a large group of other dogs and walkers but these will give you an idea of just how important physical size is in the world of dogs :) We all had a good laugh at Gizmo's expense so I had to give her an extra nice carrot (a favourite snack of hers) to go with her dinner when we got home.

"Good God, this can't be real"
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"I sure hope this thing has been fed recently"

"How about you put up the camera and we go somewhere else?"

These were made with the D300, 70-300 VR @ 300mm, ISO 1600.

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Just getting back in and I'm pleased to report that Gizmo has recovered fully and is back in charge of her reality :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom