1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The art of intimidation

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Holmes, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Gizmo, my Rott/Lab mix is an alpha female and it's rare to see her intimidated by the presence of another dog. She's not an aggessive animal but she certainly believes she's in charge of all things canine where ever we might be.

This evening we were getting ready to leave our favourite dog park when around the trail's bend up strolled the tallest Great Dane I've ever seen. Gizmo is not small at 85 lbs but this creature absolutely dwarfed her! It was an immature male and immediately took an interest in Gizmo which did not please her at all. Nika, my little Husky mix was completely enthralled with this gangly moose-like pooch.

Only got a few shots and those from the hip as the gathering was interrupted by a large group of other dogs and walkers but these will give you an idea of just how important physical size is in the world of dogs :)  We all had a good laugh at Gizmo's expense so I had to give her an extra nice carrot (a favourite snack of hers) to go with her dinner when we got home.

"Good God, this can't be real"
    [​IMG]

"I sure hope this thing has been fed recently"
    [​IMG]

"How about you put up the camera and we go somewhere else?"
    [​IMG]

These were made with the D300, 70-300 VR @ 300mm, ISO 1600.

2. RTFLOL... What a great series of shot with the appropriate captions...
    Looks as if you could have put a saddle on that Dane and rode him home...
    Well done mate....

3. That first shot is wonderful!

Paul

4. OMG...the facial expressions are priceless...

Agree with Paul, I think the first one is a keeper.

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    I Love It!!!

6. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    These are great.

There needed to be a Chihuahua there to take charge of that Dane.

7. LOL, oh the look on that dog's face is priceless! Very cute! Glad she got extra carrots!

8. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Thanks for the comments, folks!

Just getting back in and I'm pleased to report that Gizmo has recovered fully and is back in charge of her reality :) 

9. haha that's about as funny as my 8 pound cat ruling my girlfriends 35 pound dog :p 

10. Priceless as the others said. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

11. ChrisC

ChrisC

Jan 7, 2008
    Maryland
    Too funny, just look at those legs! And yes, the expressions are great.

12. memphis

memphis

Aug 6, 2006
    she does not look amused lol, great shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.