1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!
  1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Please critique. The Bard was a magician, storyteller of old. This shot was taken at a Renaissance Faire, I saw the shot coming when he hung his banner. Having seen the act before, I knew at some point he would do his straw-man routine and was ready when it happened. All I needed was a minor adjustment of my position to get this.
    My biggest question is relative to the banner. It is slightly OOF. Is the banner too OOF, not enough OOF or just right?

2. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    I like the composition as such, but the banner is too OOF and therefore distracting for my taste.

3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I think the banner is too OOF, and because of it, for me, it becomes distracting.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks. A question for those who think the banner should be sharper; if the banner were in focus, would it be distracting from the magician? Focus is one of the objects of composition, your eye tends to go for what is in focus. Were the banner sharp, would there be a less clear definition of the subject, or possibly two competing subjects?

5. if the banner were in focus, would it be distracting from the magician?

Yes that's my opinion it's the magicians who makes the picture,when the hole scene is sharp then you got a postcard.

6. I think the banner is right. If it were too sharp, it would just look like a p/s snapshot with too much background stuff in focus, taking away from the subject. It's still legible, but blurry enough to separate the magician from it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.