The beach last night

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by hillrg, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Thought I would pop down and do the sunset thing and came away with these shots. All done with the D2X

I started out with this fairly basic shot, although I like the composition. 70-200VR 135mm 1/60s f/11 ISO 400.

Well, that was boring... then I noticed how the last light was shining on the rocks and thought that was cool. 17-55DX at 55mm 30s f/10 ISO 200 in manual exposure mode. I warmed this up more in photoshop using the photo filter orange at 41%.
    View attachment 13142

Well, I still wanted to see a sunset, so I tried this next. Thsi is a double exposure, one for the foreground and one for the sky. 17-55DX at 55mm, 30s and 2s, f/10 ISO 200. I had to warm the foreground to match the sky as best as I could.
    View attachment 13143

And here is the photo I had envisioned before I left the house...
    17-55DX at 17mm 4s, f/10 ISO 200. This is my favourite of this series.
    View attachment 13144

2. These are very nice, Rory. On the last one, I wish it was a tad lighter at the top as I'm struggling to make out the outline of the foliage. Like the idea, though.

3. Well, that was the idea... BTW, if your monitor is calibrated you should just be able to see the difference.

4. Well, then you succeeded. :wink: Monitor is calibrated and I can see the difference...just saying it's a struggle, that's all.

5. Good work Rory. I think you did an admirable job on #3 with your double exposure. I also like image #2.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That third shot is killer Rory! Especially in the reflection of the sky among the rocks in the foreground - excellent! Even Wow!

7. Marvellous Rory, I like the "creamy and foggy" sea!

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice Rory.

Love sunrises and sunsets. Everyday a different color. Every minute actually. Nicely captured.

9. Very nice Rory. I really like number 3 as well.

10. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Rory,

These images are really striking, they are more than fantastic. My favorites are nr 2 & 3. The way how the water turned into mist/fog is so nice, together with the light of the setting sun. They both set a great mood, good drama!

Great work, keep it up

Kind Regards

Johan

11. Beautiful treatments of great shots! Gotta love the west coast for stunning sunsets. You've capture these well, esp the last one. Love the fade...

12. Very nice Rory...that third shot is excellent!

Anthony

13. Thanks for the feedback everyone. #3 appears to be the favourite.

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely beautiful images, Rory. The color saturation is outstanding. Very tranquil!!!

15. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Great series Rory,but the last gives me a really shiver, beautiful !!

16. NikonK

NikonK

May 27, 2005
    Good pictures! Really enjoy viewing it. The last picture look too dark in my monitor.

Well done!

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

17. Rory great series but the third one does it for me, such a well compsoed and exposed shot.