The Bearded One(moose)

Real Name
Dan
Check out the beard(aka bell) on this guy.

1) Note there is no tassel/bell pull. Biologists say the lack of the tassel/pull is indicative of an older moose. The tassel gets frost bitten during severe winters and eventually falls off.
p2308403127-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) A similarly large bodied/antlered moose that still retains a portion of the bell pull and the bell is not as large therefore likely a younger animal. This guy also still has the remnants of velvet hanging from his antlers.
p2303027441-6.jpg

3) And here is a much younger animal in full velvet, a much smaller bell, and with his bell pull fully intact.
p2303028926-6.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Amazing images Dan. #2 is over the top.
Thanks, Bill. That's a big old boy.
Once in my life (when this is all over, as we all say) I would like to come up and see these grand creatures. In the mean time, your stellar images will keep me wanting for more
Glad you enjoyed them, Andreas. I'll try to keep you supplied in the interim. If you find yourself in Anchorage in September I'll take you to see the real thing.
Beautiful captures, those look like some very big animals. #1 is my favorite, that splash of color in the foreground is nice.
Thanks, Rick. Yes the first to are world class bulls.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Not this year but next and I will try to convince Louis to come with me as well, would be really fun
Thanks, Bill. That's a big old boy.

Glad you enjoyed them, Andreas. I'll try to keep you supplied in the interim. If you find yourself in Anchorage in September I'll take you to see the real thing.

Thanks, Rick. Yes the first to are world class bulls.

Real Name
Dan
Stunning images....and I really appreciate the educational information!
Glad you enjoyed the post, Karen.
Great photos and descriptions!
Thanks, Andy.
Excellent photos. Thanks for adding the information also.
Thanks for commenting, Allan.
Not this year but next and I will try to convince Louis to come with me as well, would be really fun
The moose will still be there.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom