The Beast as a Professional Tool

My neighbor, Steve, is in hog heaven. He's a marketing VP for a small Silicon Valley firm, but his real passion is wine. He's been taking courses, and makes trips to Napa and Sonoma on a regular basis.

A couple of Silicon Valley types have just opened up a wine bar at our local strip mall, and Steve's landed a part time, evening gig as they wine guru. It pays about as well as flipping burgers at MacDonalds, but he's surrounded by lovely bottles of vino, and living his dream :).

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Since I do a little dreaming myself, I brought my d70, The Beast, and an SB800 to this week's wine tasting at Unwined last night. I got permission to take a few shots, and have an appointment to present them to the owners this afternoon. I got a lot of oohs and aahs over the rig, and it clearly identified me as someone serious about snapping pics.

Here's my suggestion for their store graphic. We can make posters from it that they can sell, and also postcards to send announcements to the folks on their mailing list.

View attachment 10958

I'm also suggesting they have me document each winery that presents at their tastings. We can frame them and hang them in a grouping in the retail sales area to distinguish them from ordinary retailers.

View attachment 10959

A shot of the bartender on his birthday.

View attachment 10960

And to close the deal, I took an environmental portrait of the owner while he was charming one of the lady customers. I'll offer to barter it for some fine wine ;).

View attachment 10961

My real targets, though, are those beautiful empty walls. I want to consign some of my prized framed prints for display, and sell them to the upscale crowd that frequents the wine bar.

Wish me luck.

Good luck! I really like the shot of all the wine bottles on the wall w/their logo....the one you picked for a postcard....

Really nice images Frank. The beast is doing well by you. I hope you can get some of your shots on the wall of the wine bar. Good luck.

I like your idea for the poster/postcard, very nicely made. The only thing left is to taste a little bit of those wine.

Leigh said:
Good luck! I really like the shot of all the wine bottles on the wall w/their logo....the one you picked for a postcard....
Thanks, Leigh! I can always use feedback like that.

greyflash said:
I hope you can get some of your shots on the wall of the wine bar.
Me, too. The boss said I've gotta start making my gear pay for itself.

Gilles said:
I like your idea for the poster/postcard, very nicely made. The only thing left is to taste a little bit of those wine.
Thanks, Gilles! So far this project is costing me a fotune in wine tasting fees :-/.

Frank,

I think you're on to something here. The shots look great. Only one suggestion on the vendor shot. There are a few things cluttering the counter/bar. The bar rag, plate of cookies, the pitcher and the paper which is cut off. If the bottles were all facing the camera at the same angle, I think it would look a bit cleaner as well. Don't mean to nit-pick, but I often see things like that in my shots after the fact.

Good luck on the project. Let us know how it goes.

Brian

bfullmer said:
Frank,

I think you're on to something here. The shots look great. Only one suggestion on the vendor shot. There are a few things cluttering the counter/bar. The bar rag, plate of cookies, the pitcher and the paper which is cut off. If the bottles were all facing the camera at the same angle, I think it would look a bit cleaner as well. Don't mean to nit-pick, but I often see things like that in my shots after the fact.

Thanks for the input, Brian. I had considered cloning that stuff out, but then decided it added to the environmental nature of the shot, and made it look like a real wine tasting. It's easy enough to do, though, so I'll see how the client feels about it... if they decide to become a client.

Well, let's see. You get to go to a place that sells fine wines, in a relaxed setting, with jovial company. You get to shoot pictures of same, with your favorite cam and lens. You might actually get paid for this.

Are you sure that you haven't died and gone to heaven?? 8)

Sounds like a great deal to me. Nice shots BTW. My fav is the owner schmoozing with the lady customer. I'll bet he will like it too. :wink:

Real Name
Chris
I know this is a thread about the use of particular equipment, and some business opportunities they present, but I HAVE to comment on the content of one of the photos shown:
ufwineshopmod.jpg

But tell your neighbor "Put that bottle in a cooler, man! Champagne can explode!" Not that it will, but people who buy voov want to drink it right away.

PS. I was just excited to see a picture of my favorite wine in one of your shots.

Frank,

That is pretty cool.

Inspiration to all of us up and coming photographers. Sounds like your on the way to some more nice glass for the camera.

Congratulations.

PhotoByMark said:
Frank,

That is pretty cool.

Inspiration to all of us up and coming photographers. Sounds like your on the way to some more nice glass for the camera.

Thanks, Mark, but I really don't need more glass right now. I need clients!

Chris, I was going to make a smart Alec rejoinder, but I'm so intimidated by your avatar that I don't dare :shock:.

You're going to ruin our reputation for being a friendly place :wink:.

Real Name
Chris
:!: :!: :!:

But Frank!! That's my friendly avatar. Now this guy, I'm scared of:
71mod.jpg

Hi Frank,
This is going to be gang busters for you and for 'Unwined' --so keep us posted on how it goes.. Definitely give us updates as it progresses.. You come up with great creative ideas.

Best to you,

Gaye

PS........ I think Chris should win the prize for creative and frequent avatars :lol:

GeeJay said:
Hi Frank,
This is going to be gang busters for you and for 'Unwined' --so keep us posted on how it goes.. Definitely give us updates as it progresses.. You come up with great creative ideas.

Thanks, Gaye. I hope it works out, but if not, at least it got my creative juices flowing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom