The Beast for portraits - it works!

Discussion in 'People' started by Frits, Sep 15, 2008.

1. When I got me a Beast, I did not have portraits in mind. It is destined for general stuff for which I use it together with the AF-S 17-35 f/2.8.
    For portraits I like to use some specific lenses (85, 105 and 200).

But of course I have seen many fine portraits in the Cafe with the 28-70, so I thought I give it a try.
    Result: I like it, it will do very well in a pinch. Good perspective, nice bokeh, very good color rendition and saturation.

(Please ignore the messy background, Anne's hair etc., it is just a quick take)

D2x, Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8 (at approx. 65mm, available light only)

original.

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    That's funny, I use it primarily for portraits for the reasons you mentioned. I sold my 85 f1.8... wish I could get the f1.4

Your shot looks like I would expect from the beast, smooth and sharp.

3. Beautiful portrait. I love mine for portraits as well. You won't see me upgrading to the latest version, this one is just too outstanding.

4. Beautiful! Gotta love that D2X low ISO!

5. Thanks Jonathan!
    I agree. I like to stay at base (ISO 100), but I kicked it up to ISO 250 for this one because of very poor light (still practically noise free, mind you).

6. Anne is a classic beauty! And yes, the Beast does well for portraits, this is very complimentary to both Anne and the lens. :smile:

7. And the photographer.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Ann is so pretty. She always looks perfect!!

9. papa85

papa85 Guest

Hi Frits. love the shot . I will never get rid of my Beast. Be lost without it.

10. A beautiful model and a good photographer makes a perfect combination...Lovely as usual.

11. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Beautiful image Frits.

I've used my 28-70 for portraits, model shoots, landscapes, wildlife and even creepy abandonments. If what I'm shooting fits in it's range, then I use it -no question. That lens never lets me down - it's going in the box with me...:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.