The "Beast" has arrived!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Thanks to Scott Sherman I am now the proud owner of the 28-70 f/2.8 BEAST......and it is truly a MANLY lens! Wow it is massive. If I can scrape together some time I'll post some shots.

I have a ton of tulips from my Chicago trip.

Rich

2. Hi Rich, that is an absolute beautiful lens! Congratulations............. wanted to ask, how is the 300mm working out for you, been looking to see some pics posted ;-) . Take care, look forward to seeing some pictures!

Keith

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah! Both of you, get busy and shoot! :) ;) :D

Sounds nice Rich, are you gonna start shooting weddings now, like Frank did once he got his 'wedding lens'?

I see you also have the 24-85 f/2.8. What advantage do you expect with the 28-70?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congrat's Rich. That one is on my list, but not until next year. I'm tapped. :?

If your results are as good as UF's, you should be really happy. :)

Regards,

Frank

5. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the HAPPY CLUB OF NEW 28-70MM f/2.8 LENS OWNERS!!! :):):)

6. Rich,

Congratulations.

How would you guys compare this beast to 17-55 f/2.8 ?

7. Updated 4:30 pm est.

It is wonderful Keith. I took several hundred a few weeks ago of a medieval battle reenactment. Althoug they weren't strictly handheld, I was perched on a ladder, but the shots are teriffic.

large.

Rich

8. I've never used the 17-55, sorry.

Rich

9. I'd be a liar if I tried now to give you an intelligent answer to your question. I tried it in ACE Photo and fell in love, er lust with it. I don't think being rational was one of the criteria for joining this web site...was it?

Rich :?

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh I know Rich. I just love curved pieces of glass, especially when encased in tight metal and plastic. It really stirs the ... uh, nevermind.

;)

11. Hey, you, Todd, and I should start a club... Brothers of the Beast!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have, Rich. Just wait until you see how fast and accurately it focuses. It's perfect for
    events/PJ. And it gives that "special quality" to portraits... even snapshots like there.

View attachment 7865

12. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Its a beast alright

I used to have one but sold it when I packaged it with a D1X I sold a while ago.

I regret selling it now (both D1X and 28-70 actually). The 28-70 would cover off a "blind spot" in my mm coverage for club shoots. I'm using a 17-35mm and 35mm prime these days.

That 28-70 is HEAVY METAL

13. La,la,la,la,la,la,la....I can't hear you.

Yeah, resistance is futile.

I really want the 28-70. A lot.
    Uncle Frank's been taunting us with it and now you're going to accelerate my affliction.
    Post for us!

14. I almost bought the 28-70, but got the 17-55 instead.

What we really need is a full frame 17 - 80 !!! f2.8

15. 28-70 is my money lens too, use 90% of the time for portraits and general photography.

16. It took me a long time to decide on getting the 28-70 or the 17-55. Ended up getting the 28-70. Best lens decision I have ever made. Truly remarkable piece of glass.