1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Beast has bitten the dust....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jetta32696, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Shooting a wedding on Saturday, I made a rookie mistake while trying to help someone out. Put my camera down....forgetting that I was still "connected" to it by the cord on my newly acquired SD-8A - I walked away and my D2hs/28-70 took a HARD tumble from about 4-5 feet up. Camera seems to be okay, but the Beast is toast! Glass is intact, but the focus ring is stuck in position - won't zoom in or out.

Is it safe to assume that this type of problem won't be covered under warranty replacement? I'll be sending it in soon, but I'm waiting to hear the worst from Nikon since it was totally my fault.

I've been crying inside since Saturday!!! Help me!!!!!!!!! :frown: Just wanted to share my troubles with you all so I don't have to feel the pain alone...

2. Sorry Keith! innocent mistake but it is done now. Hopefully the news from Nikon will not be all bad.

3. Keith!! I feel your pain. So sorry to hear the news.

Send it to Nikon and you might be pleasantly surprised. I've heard of them doing some repairs at no cost on pro grade equipment when you least expect it.

4. Sorry to hear about that! I sent mine in for a problem and it cost about $450 for them to replace everything but the glass. No problems since.

Let me know if you need to borrow a beast for any upcoming shoots...

Gary

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Bummer! Hope the bill's not too high!

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Really sorry to hear that, Keith:frown:

7. keith,
    i am very sorry to hear about this
    glad the camera will be ok, at least

take care of yourself, my friend
    bad luck... sorry

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    KEITH! You did not learn from my mistake!!!

I feel your pain. Dropped my camera with my beloved 60 day old 24-70 on it. Totaled. But it was covered under insurance, so I got a new one.

GET INSURANCE! You'll still cry inside if something happens, but it won't be gut wrenching tears.

kristina

9. Ugh. I wish I could say I feel your pain, but the truth of the matter is that all I can offer is sympathy. Hope all goes well with the repair and keep up posted.

10. I did a similar thing on Saturday at a wedding.... except I put mine down on a carpeted floor still connected to the SD-8A. So it just dragged along happily behind me as I walked away. Luckily no damage done :biggrin:

That's why I have insurance too, although touch wood I have not had to use it until now.

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Same thing happened to me . . . :mad:  IIRC, the bill was in the mid $400's :eek: 

12. Sorry to hear about your mishap; but, been there, done that. So I know how ya feel.

13. Ouch, hope you get sorted, did a similar thing, picked up my backpack but hadn't zipped it up, out tumbled all my lenses but luckily it was on grass.
    John

14. Good luck with sending it to Nikon. Hopefully they surprise and the bill is not too large.

15. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

If you're shooting weddings professionally you should really have some sort of insurance.

16. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wonder if it's covered under my homeowner's insurance?? I'll have to look into that too. I've been talking about insuring my equipment for a year, but money's tight with a new condo. :-( I'll have to wait and see what the damage is....

17. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Keith,

I am really sorry to hear about this mishap :frown:

I wish you the best as you send it to Nikon. I hope they offer a pleasant surprise!

18. It's possible that if you make a claim on your homeowner's insurance, you'll be subject to the deductible. You can probably get a no-deductible rider for your homeowner's policy if you make less than half your income on photography. When I looked into it with my insurance company, the additional rider came out to something like $114 for the year.

19. Dang, Keith - my condolences . . .

Glad that your cam is OK, though.

Closest I ever came to such a disaster was a couple of years ago while carrying my D200 on a tripod over my shoulder hiking around Yellowstone one morning. I'd been taking shots, tracking a mother deer and her fawn, and at one point, the cam's L-bracket came out of the clamp:eek: 

Fortunately, I'd been using a cable shutter release (cheap knock-off) and it managed to entangle around the ball head, sparing the cam and the 300 f/4 from hitting the ground. The release was shot, but the camera and lens just dangled. That was the best $20 I'd ever spent on photography . . .

We all live and learn, I guess.

I agree, also - check with your insurance agent: you might be covered (after the deductible, of course).

Eric

20. then die and forget it all....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.