The Beast still rocks!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 12, 2008.

1. We were only allowed to bring our camera and one lens to the first session of my studio portraiture class. My first thought was the Cream Machine, but I didn't know how much room I'd have, so I opted for the 28-70. It turns out we were shooting at f/16 anyway, so the Beast was probably the better choice. I kept it racked to 70mm for all the shots.

For no reason I can explain, I had the hood on it, so it was definitely the burliest lens in the room and attracted a lot of attention. It also performed like a champ. The Beast may be discontinued, but it's still an amazing studio lens imho. Here are some of my fellow students.

View attachment 252375

I wasn't the only d200 shooter in the class...

View attachment 252376

and I wasn't the only old guy in the class...

View attachment 252377

but he's the teacher :rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  2. I haven't used my Beast often, but I have a feeling I will this winter when outdoor sessions are out of the question for most babies and toddlers. I think it will replace the sigma 30 as my *studio* lens.

How are you liking your class?

3. It was fun, Sonya. Kind of like hanging out on the Cafe, but in person. Lots of energy... similar to our get-together at Santana Row.

The prof is laid back and has a good sense of humor. There were some technical issues I disagreed with, but I tried to keep a low profile, so I sat back and listened for a change.

4. Sounds like a neat class Frank! I'm envious, I've had a hard time finding anything feasible around these parts......sigh. It's either "this is a camera, here is its On button" level stuff locally, or things in Boston that start long before hubby is ever home from work (and I have no sitters available) or some really cool sounding classes down in Providence.....at $660 a whack. :eek:  :frown:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Beast. I really should get mine out and use it more. I seem stuck on primes lately. :rolleyes: 

5. Uncle Frank:

Sorry to go off topic a little, but tell me more about the Santana Row get togethers? Are they Cafe members? How often? When is the next one?

Michael

6. It was a one time deal, Michael. Kemnik, Soyna, and I met for lunch and camera talk on a Sunday last June.

7. I guess I'm "Old School" when it comes to my lenses. I just love the results I get from the Beast. While I'll readily admit to chasing the next Great Thing, I've never seriously considered selling this lens. I can't see a noticeable improvement in IQ, so I'll just keep my antiquated bit of gear.

8. Really nice shots, Frank. The Beast lives! I envy you finding a class that is right for your photo skills and interests. Like Gretchen, I'm faced with elementary or very expensive, expansive, and out of town seminars. But one of the neat things about your taking this class is that you'll share some of your results with the rest of us! I look forward to seeing more about what you discover.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Nice shots, and the beast is still my all time favorite lens. I still use mine more than anything else.

10. Yep...
    The Beast still does a Bill Haley... :rolleyes: 
    and
    Rocks Around the Clock... :biggrin:
    on any Nikon Camera.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

really nice shots Frank ..still the best mid range zoom out there, imho...;-)

12. So, Tell us more about the class? What was the objective of it? Any other results?
    Cost? Was it only the students above?

Just curious... And you are right as always, Frank, this lens is awesummmm!!!
    I just luv my copy! And it does garner a lot of attention on my D200!!

The name is sooooo right!!! It is indeed a beast!

13. 102948211.

The course is offered by a local junior college, but is held at the teacher's off-campus commercial studio. He's a portrait photographer who has made the transition to teaching in recent years.

The course will cover the 4 most common types of studio lighting... narrow (aka short) lighting, broad lighting, Paramount (aka butterfly) lighting, and poster lighting.

There are 18 students in the class, and most of them are youngsters. California's community colleges are very affordable, and this 2 credit course only cost me $65, including student fees.

14. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    This is the one lens I truly miss. Maybe someday I can obtain another one.

15. More from the Beast

I tried using other lenses for the class, but when it comes to studio work, the Beast seems to be in a class by itself. But it can't solve posing problems.

As usual, we practiced on fellow students. This guy is from easter Europe, and his natural look is a scowl :eek: .

I figured he might frighten viewers, so I used a touch of the liquify tool to turn up the corners of his mouth a teensy-tiny bit. :wink:

View attachment 252380

My friend, Dan, has a very thin face, and I don't think short lighting was very flattering.

View attachment 252381

Imho he looked better, and was certainly happier, with broad lighting.

View attachment 252382

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow, f14 ...i thought that was a plane, or sumthin ..hahaha

...lovely Frank
    ;-)))

17. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Love my beast. It's on my cam 80% of the time. No offense but that lighting isn't very flattering at all. The eyes are so dark.

18. solidstate42

solidstate42

Apr 20, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Frank,

Can you tell me which junior college? Mission? West Valley? I want to take a photography class next semester when I have a lighter load. Thanks.

19. I'm taking the course at West Valley. It's Photography 20A: Studio Lighting for Portraiture. It meets once a week at an off-campus studio at 6PM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.