1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Beast vs. Sigma

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sbutchin, Mar 30, 2007.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    So I have the Sigma 28-70 2.8 and for the price it's a good lens - but, is the Beast that much better - will I see such a noticeable difference that would make me get rid of the Sigma and buy the Beast - I know everyone here who has one loves it, but again, it is pricey, (for me) - I'm thinking of renting one to give it a go, but would like some opinions - thanks friends:smile:

and sorry for a ? that has probably been asked a million times:redface:

2. I debated the 2 when I was originally in the market for one. Build quality is light and day. I find the Sigma is also very contrasty and produces warm tones but something about the images I got from it turned me off. The Beast on the other hand has a very unique and characteristic image quality that is second to none as a flexible studio lens and pleasing bokeh. Zoom and focus rings are smoother than the Sigma, focusing is faster in my opinion, and there is probably more variation among copies of the Sigma.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for! The differences might not be great to everyone, but if you're picky enough to consider getting a lens that costs 4x as much as the other...then go for the beast you won't regret it. =)

3. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    thanks nate, i appreciate the comments - would love to see some side by sides - and thanks for helping me spend more money than i already have!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.