The Beautiful Bounty

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Turnip Leaves
    1)
    39297241-L.

2)
    39297225-L.

Spinach
    3)
    39297245-L.

Brocolli Leaf
    4)
    39297279-L.

Cabbage Leaves
    5)
    39297276-L.

Acorn Squash and Acorn Squash Blossoms
    6)
    39297229-L.
    7)
    39297294-L.
    8)
    39297297-L.

Canna Blossom
    9)
    39297272-L.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Just beautiful, Leigh! Are all these things growing in your garden?

Virginia
    beaucamera

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Paul and Virginia!

These are all from my Autumn Garden....I've got Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Fennel, Spinach and Turnip Greens. It's is a completely organic, pesticide free garden! I really enjoy having a garden that I know that is healthy for my kids to eat w/o fear of them being poisoned if that eat something before I can rinse it off (they like to pick the spinach at eat the leaves when they are playing in the yard). I also enjoy planting so much that I have enough to share w/family and friends...ask Flew, I kept him supplied w/Tomatoes and Cucumbers most of the Summer. Now it's time to get him a bag of Turnip Greens!

I even still have fresh herbs....my basil, sage and rosemary are growing at lightspeed! I made pesto just last weekend and it was wonderful (would have cost a fortune if I'd had to buy that much basil from the market).

Again, thanks for looking!
    (wish you were here to share the bounty with me!)

5. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    The photos of the Brocolli Leaf and Cabbage Leaves are my favorite, they are beautiful! The Brocolli Leaf has a very special color, it looks a bit metalic.

Roosje

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good shots Leigh. They look Very healthy! Gee, I wished I was your next door neighbor. :wink: Maybe I could get some of your surplus! :rolleyes: btw, who does all the garden prepping at the start of the season? Your soil looks so rich & dark!

7. Beautiful, Leigh. So green, so refreshing, so healthy, and so delicious.

Wish that I'm not thousands of miles away.

8. The canna blossom is so colorful. I like to put young spinach in most of my cooking but always add them at the last minute so the keep the crunchy texture.

9. When looking at the first 5 images I thought you might have taken the word "greenery" a bit too litteral :smile: , before it becomes more colorful towards the bottom. Nice images.
    I guess you are self-sufficient on vegetables?
    Cheers

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Steve...I actually do all the work myself (except the tilling). Tilling requires more brute strength than my 5'1" frame can muster. As to the soil, it is rather rich...before each planting season, I turn back in the mulch I used from the previous planting season. What do I use for mulch you ask???? Well, I am fortunate to live in an area that plants cotton....as a result, I have access to some of the richest mulch you could ever imagine. The hulls that are left from the cotton process are left in a silo to basically ferment. It turns black and smells awful, but what is produced as as result is rich compost. After the garden is planted begins to sprout, I pack the mulch around the plants and all through the rows...relatively no weeds to pull all season! I also use soaker hoses at the base of the plants underneath the mulch rather than a sprinkler system. This type of process uses less water. No pesticides...Completely organic!!!

Sorry if this was too much info...I'm extremely proud of my garden! Wish you lived close enough for me to share my veggies!

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yep, I guess I did go a bit wild on the "greenery"...but I just love it all so much! I am actually thinking of expanding my garden area next spring so I'll have room to plant even more!!! Thanks for looking.

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    It's funny about the brocolli leaf...it is a rather greyish-green....but the brocollli sprouts are very bright green. Thanks for looking (the cabbage leaves were my favorite as well).

Wish you were here as well to share the bounty!

I love fresh spinach too! My boys just pick it out of the garden and eat it raw for a snack while they are playing!

13. Very nice Leigh. That is as healthy as a garden can look in October. Amazing. The neat thing to me is how you tie the two things you like so much together, gardening and photography.
    Dave

14. Good God woman, don't you ever sit down!!???? Raising two little kids, well three if you count Patrick :wink: A completely organic garden is not only beautiful to photograph (love these pics - so 'fresh' looking) but is also a beautiful thing to do for your family. We used to have a garden when I was a kid and I used to love eating raw right from the plants while I played, so I can just imagine your kids doing the same! Fabulous way to grow up! My mother used to use a great pesticide: a penny for every potato bug, a nickle for tomato worms - we got to be extremely good at spotting the pests!! LOL Cleanest garden in town!

15. What a great garden you have Leigh. Love your images and especially the last one, great colors.