The beautiful House Finch

Real Name
Randy
yesterday in the backyard
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I compared them and I'm pretty sure these are house finch. I didn't see where crossbills are commonly found
We have had some red crossbills stop at our feeder in past years, but mainly in late April or early May. I would think they would winter further south than Charlotte, but I certainly don't know.

Here's a (poor) photo I got of one in 2013. It does show more yellow on the throat than your bird.

Real Name
Randy
We have had some red crossbills stop at our feeder in past years, but mainly in late April or early May. I would think they would winter further south than Charlotte, but I certainly don't know.

Here's a (poor) photo I got of one in 2013. It does show more yellow on the throat than your bird.
That's hardly a poor shot
I did a google search and compared and they're close enough to confuse

I did a google search and compared and they're close enough to confuse
Indeed.

I showed your pictures to our local experts and this is their reply:

"After doing a little research Amy and I both believe the bird to be a house finch. We found a couple of other photos of house finches with slightly crossed bills. Crossbills do not have the streaking on their breasts and well-defined feathering on the back."

So I think you are right in your ID. Please excuse me for confusing the issue.

Real Name
Randy
Indeed.

I showed your pictures to our local experts and this is their reply:

"After doing a little research Amy and I both believe the bird to be a house finch. We found a couple of other photos of house finches with slightly crossed bills. Crossbills do not have the streaking on their breasts and well-defined feathering on the back."

So I think you are right in your ID. Please excuse me for confusing the issue.
No worries, this discussion has been fun for me. I really enjoy more than just taking a picture, I like knowing everything about a bird. Birds fascinate me

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom