The Beauty of Nature, Slime Mold.

Slime mold I am told. I have seen it in its slime state, but had no Idea it did all this. Beautiful. It had had 7 years of no light.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pano 23" tall,

original.jpg

original.jpg

16 image macro pano.

original.jpg

Once it was identified and I read up on it, I realized I had seen it in the forest, just a gob of goo, and I do not think I took a pic of it. It was amazing, the ground it was sealed to was very cool and the air temp was 77* here, so what I take to be condensation sort of spoiled the image in some cases and made them more interesting in others.

Very nice Tom. I imagine that most people would have written it off as a fungus and not bothered researching it. I still remember a 2nd year university lecture on the reproduction of slime molds, mostly because it was so complex that I ended up with 4 pages of notes!

Larry

Great shots, you make slime molds look beautiful and other-worldly..

cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" ewww.... gross... Ok it is pretty but.... slime..." - Georgie Beagle

Very interesting set. I haven't seen such a thing before. #2 and #3 have abstract quality.

I had seen small patterns before, generally while scouting under 100 YO buildings in my building days. But this was a whole new thing for me. Maybe I need to add a recorder shot .

Not just beautiful, but also informative!

Thanks Mike, just a lucky day .

Great shots, you make slime molds look beautiful and other-worldly..

cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" ewww.... gross... Ok it is pretty but.... slime..." - Georgie Beagle
Thanks, but If you do not like at this stage you need to see it at the stage it got its name from, pure slime .

Very nice Tom. I imagine that most people would have written it off as a fungus and not bothered researching it. I still remember a 2nd year university lecture on the reproduction of slime molds, mostly because it was so complex that I ended up with 4 pages of notes!

Larry

Thanks Larry. The life cycle, as briefly as I scanned it, is so complex and amazing for what is a single cell critter ? do I have that right, and it has a connection to malaria. It was an amazing find.
We were moving the generator setup. Had two grandsons with me and this cost me a good thirty minutes of work :) . I was not sure but thought it was a mold, simply because it was so thin, the color was startling. The 4 X 4 frame work had settled into he ground, in effect sealing it off with he exception of one small hole for a wire on the half with the most mold.

This was the first day I had really physically worked since my vertigo and stroke, on to about 50 days now, and I am out of shape. My hands were shaking, so boosted ISO for more speed and hoped for the best. The colors do beautiful things with PS filters, but what see here is what I shot.

Real Name
Mike
Slime molds are something I had never considered photographing, mostly because I didn't understand what they were. I've been following a couple of groups where slime molds appear to be a popular subject. I never realized how beautiful and intricate they can be. One more thing to add to my list of subjects when I'm out and about. Thanks for posting!

Awesome, I just seen that on TV, California's Gold, they were in Mohave Desert in the spring and ran across this goo stuff same color and sticky as Huell said...........

Latest threads

Top Bottom