The beginning of the coil gun photos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today I aimed the coil-gun at some water balloons.
Video here.
I also did some high speed tests of the pre-flash delay.

The pictures still have much to be desired but now that I have my working distances calculated I can start getting creative. :)

In this image the bolt just bounced off :)

getting there .....

If you know anyone into shooting down your way ask if someone has a shooting chronograph you can borrow. I used to use mine to test hand loads. What you've made is quite amazing.

If you know anyone into shooting down your way ask if someone has a shooting chronograph you can borrow. I used to use mine to test hand loads. What you've made is quite amazing.
Last night I put up a post on a physics forum I joined asking for help in making a more efficient model with a better coil. This morning I woke up to this reply:

"Unfortunately building coil guns is deemed far too dangerous for the PF.
You should have couched your question in terms of the physical electronic circuit requirements without mention of application to coil guns. You are actually building a magnetic impulse generator.
The trajectory of a bullet or missile, or the reason why guns are designed the way they are, seem to be OK questions.
If you google the subject of your interest you will find plenty of amateur assistance from other sites. Because you have an enquiring mind, your post will now have to be reported as a dangerous activity."

Followed by the mod's statement: "This thread is now closed - nice pic BTW" :rolleyes:

"reported as a dangerous activity."? Who would they report this to? Here, that could bring about all sorts of dangerous people beating your door down in the night. I used to live in Christchurch, and found it a very civilized place much of the time, so I doubt you have seek a new ID and go underground, at least not yet.

"reported as a dangerous activity."? Who would they report this to? Here, that could bring about all sorts of dangerous people beating your door down in the night. I used to live in Christchurch, and found it a very civilized place much of the time, so I doubt you have seek a new ID and go underground, at least not yet.
Not that serious - I think it was just a regular member reporting it to the mods :smile:

Bet the complainer wets his shorts when anyone passes gas nearby.
It is kinda strange on a physics forum discussing nuclear energy and other things like that? Then again I suppose none of them are actually doing any of that in their back yard :biggrin: I also wonder how many of them own guns - then they freak about something that shoots bolts at water balloons across the room.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom