The Beginning of the END

You know that summer is on the way out when the swallows begin massing a few days prior to migrating south...and it began this morning.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is one of several bushes near where I was watching that was weighted down with the masses of these beautiful little birds. Tomorrow I expect that the road will be covered with them (they like to sit on the warm pavement at night before leaving), then the sky will be blackened with them...and then they will be gone....

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It seem like only yesterday that I saw flocks of Cedar Waxwings migrating north for the winter and here you are posting the southward migration of the Swallows. Time flies when you are having fun. Excellent images by the way.

Gordon

It was kind of sad watching these guys gathering to leave as I love swallows..but more so because it truly means an end to the summer.

The fall however brings thousands upon thousands of migratory birds that pass through this barrier island and also begins the arrivals of our winter residents..perigrines, harriers, bald eagles, merlins and many other raptors.....and my favorites the snowy and short eared owls.

Strange how you can guage that the seasons are changing by the activities of the wildlife...before you can even feel it in the air.

Interesting season change forecast, Jim! It does seem like only yesterday that we were all watching the northward migration, and now it's time for the other direction. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the migratory birds pass through here soon. We just put our hummer feeders back up and have one or two stopping by. Hope to catch some photos before they're gone again. Of course, here we have another month or more of this summer heat before we start the mild winter season.

Jim,
You are right, watch the animals and birds.. they sure know more than we do.

Beautiful images.

Thans so much for sharing.

Now that is a bunch of Swallows. I know what you mean about then end of summer, but down here it is less the cold than the loss of light. This time of the year I can go shooting after work for two hours. Once we go back to standard time, I can only shoot on the weekend. Guess we should take advantage of the few weeks that we have, huh?

Jim, you're right. The summer is on its end. In Quebec, maple leaves begin to turn yellow. In 3 or 4 weeks from now. gooses will gather and migrate to the south warm weather. But we, guys living up north, can consolate ourself thinking about beautiful autumn landscapes, about more opportunities to spot and shoot small birds (the ones stayed behind) since there will be less leaves. ....But, at the end, I think I prefer big birds and warm south temperatures in place of frost and wet snow. 8)

BTW, nice composition in the first picture.

G

Gordon Large

Jim -

Both shots are excellent and way cool. I never knew swallows migrated in bunches like this, or that they gathered like this before taking off. Sorry about that frost coming soon. Down here in PA we should have until late November. But just think about those darned guys in Florida.....
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Gordon

Well I gotta say that is pretty interesting. I have never seen such a thing. Funny how they like to hang out on such tiny little branches. Summer is almost over really? I guess it depends where you live. Seems like everyday it is getting just a little hotter or so it seems.

So where do all these little birds hang out in the winter?

All I want to know Jim is which one did you focus on, looks like your cam is front focusing. LMAO!!!! On a serious note, all the big game animals out here shed the velvet 2-3 weeks early , this cannot be good. Early winter as you say!

Interesting shots, Jim. The first one looks like swallow shiskabobs :). Haven't thought too much about winter yet around here. We've had highs of about 32 degrees C. (90F) here for the last few days.

Nice captures Jim and you are so right. It is hard to believe that in just a little more than a month I will be in the Tetons to shoot the fall colors!!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom