The bells towards "way of st. James"

Along the loooong "WAY OF ST. JAMES", Spain, several religious buildings and signs can be found.
Pilgrims WALK hundreds and hundreds of miles towards "Santiago de Compostela Cathedral".
Here´s a picture of a little chapel over their way, by the town of Astorga:

115561059.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Even not a recent image, here´s the Cathedral where they all walk to:

View attachment 388545

Thanks for seeing.

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

nice duo Rui

I have read a few books on this,and almost want to do it myself....

nice duo Rui

I have read a few books on this,and almost want to do it myself....
Lots of people do it even starting in Germany... actually, no far from the place I took the 1st. pic I met a german guy that was already on the read since last May...

Interesting set Rui. I will have to research this pilgrimage to fully understand why people walk so far. Thanks for inticing my curiousity. I love the second image.

God Bless,
David
Thanks. Do a Wikipedia search. Here in Portugal we have a similar tradition. People walk to the Sanctuary of Fatima where they believe that Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to some children back in 1917.
From wikipedia:

Today pilgrimage to the site goes on all year round and additional chapels, hospitals and other facilities have been constructed. The principal pilgrimage festivals take place on the thirteenth day of each month, from May to October, on the anniversaries of the original appearances. The largest crowds gather on 13 May and 13 October, when up to a million pilgrims have attended to pray and witness processions of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, both during the day and by the light of tens of thousands of candles at night.

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Latest threads

Top Bottom