the benefit of 64-bit processor chips

According to multiple recent reports, the use of 64-bit processors for raw conversion allows to double the dynamic range and to half the noise levels, compared to 32-bit processor chips.

My first reaction is that the last 32 bits would have almost no effect on either. I might surely be wrong, but I would expect that the effect of having a 64 bit processor over a 32 bit one is to speed up computations, not enhance data.

Are they saying that the width of the data bus in the processor can make such differences?

Perhaps I misunderstand the statement.

P

peterdove

According to multiple recent reports, the use of 64-bit processors for raw conversion allows to double the dynamic range and to half the noise levels, compared to 32-bit processor chips.

I know what you mean, I ran the NEF from this thread

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=109057

and look what happened

http://www.soleyphotos.com/images/DSC_0185.jpg ( large image )

Though I have yet to try it on my old 32bit motherboard which I still keep tied to my desk with a piece of string and powered by 2 duracells...

Raw Magick Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, have you used 64 bits in halves, to render highlights throw upper 32 bits, and shadows through the lower 32 bits? Or you swapped them, like I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peterdove

Peter, have you used 64 bits in halves, to render highlights throw upper 32 bits, and shadows through the lower 32 bits? Or you swapped them, like I do?

Actually I found that if you take the raw data, and then split down to the basic nibbles, one gets a much greater tonal range. Staying at the level of a byte introduces too much grain.

Raw Magick Team

Looks like Magick to me and folks that know what they are doing:>)))))
Grins real bigggggggg

Yeah, but Peter and Ilah nailed the picture

there is a good reason to use Raw Magick.
Its just a learning curve.

It has to do with the non-uniform noise when data is split into several access cycles, like banding in D200.

If you are talking about the processor in the camera, doing a raw conversion in hardware, I could agree. If you are talking about the processor in the PC doing the raw conversion in software, I'd say no way... but it's indeed, April 1st real soon now (and already there in some parts of the world)... :smile:

If you are talking about the processor in the camera, doing a raw conversion in hardware, I could agree. If you are talking about the processor in the PC doing the raw conversion in software, I'd say no way... but it's indeed, April 1st real soon now (and already there in some parts of the world)... :smile:

Dear Philippe:

Isn't it the known fact that some CF cards record images noisier then others? :confused:

Isn't it the known fact that some CF cards record images noisier then others? :confused:
Yes. You should always buy cards that are rectangular, otherwise the roundoff will increase the noise.

I'm still working the bugs out of my 64 bit system but it does seem to have the advantage. At least to my eyes. Here is my attempt with that image.

139966572-O-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Interesting thread,

I just posted my recovery attempts using a quick NX once over on the image, and I could have gotten a bit more detail out of the shadows, but interesting to see your results.

DSC_0185.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wade

quad core like quad ccd readouts could perhaps cause banding depending on the tolerance of the cpus clock speeds but it would only be noticable when using a lot of +ve exposure comp in the raw processor

Sil

Latest threads

Top Bottom