The 'BEST' Smartphone For Photography?

This new phone sounds really terrific but now I've got my sights set on the lovely new Sony A1 flagship camera body that was announced today.....that one makes me want to bring it home right now!

Sony is sure going full-steam-ahead, aren't they? Surging right to the top in as many categories as they think they can......

Last edited:
I am surprised at times at the results I can get with my current iPhone 11 Pro but it is definitely not something which I would ever want to have as my only photographic device. Once in a while I'll spot something interesting and shoot it with the iPhone, especially if I'm away from home and it's the only camera I've got handy, but even around home there are times I'll see something that catches my eye and I'll just pick up the iPhone to fire off a shot or two to see if it (the subject, the lighting, the overall situation) is worth pursuing further.... Sometimes I haven't bothered to go further, have just used the image I shot with the iPhone. Something I shot the other day which falls into that category may or may not wind up being shared in my 52-Week project, but it's early days yet.....

In the meantime I use that same iPhone to chat with friends, text with friends and family, keep up with email when I am away from a computer.....

I definitely would not be inclined to run out and buy a smartphone solely for its photographic possibilities!

I am surprised at times at the results I can get with my current iPhone 11 Pro but it is definitely not something which I would ever want to have as my only photographic device. Once in a while I'll spot something interesting and shoot it with the iPhone, especially if I'm away from home and it's the only camera I've got handy, but even around home there are times I'll see something that catches my eye and I'll just pick up the iPhone to fire off a shot or two to see if it (the subject, the lighting, the overall situation) is worth pursuing further.... Sometimes I haven't bothered to go further, have just used the image I shot with the iPhone. Something I shot the other day which falls into that category may or may not wind up being shared in my 52-Week project, but it's early days yet.....

In the meantime I use that same iPhone to chat with friends, text with friends and family, keep up with email when I am away from a computer.....

I definitely would not be inclined to run out and buy a smartphone solely for its photographic possibilities!
Interesting because I find myself using my iPhone 12 Pro Max quite often now for shots on the fly!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
They are marketing the Sony not only as a smartphone or a camera phone but a companion to your photography with the HDMI. It is however quite expensive and does not fit in the photographic style of most people here.

The new Sony Xperia Pro is really aimed at the professional who is shooting in the field -- say at sporting events -- and who needs to be able to quickly send files back to editors at the office, and for cinematographers who could use the Xperia Pro as a "monitor" right in the camera's hotshoe while shooting film footage. Of course someone who has a bunch of extra money lying around could buy the two new devices -- totaling about $10,000 by the time one finishes with taxes and such -- and have a fantastic set of gear, too.

Professionals will have access to this equipment through their employers, of course, since Sony is now the official provider of gear to the AP.

Latest threads

Top Bottom