The best two Baseball Pictures I'll probably ever take

Sometimes things just seem to line up. Thursday night shooting the Holyoke Blue Sox game was one of those times. The weather was much, much better than forecast. I seemed to make good judgements about where to station myself when, and as a result I seemed to get a higher than normal proportion of good action shots. And the Blue Sox won with a three-run walk off rally in the bottom of the ninth.

My really good fortune came in the bottom of the seventh inning, though. I had stationed myself a few rows up in the stands and about half way between first base and right field, so I could get unobstructed action shots of first and second base, and center and right field. With two out and the bases loaded in the bottom, the team's new second baseman hit a soft line drive into right field. If it fell in it would at least have tied the game. Then this happened:

Nikon D300, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, 1/1250s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso450
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon D300, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, 1/1250s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso400
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ironically, the Blue Sox again loaded the bases in the ninth, and with two outs the very same player hit a harder drive closer to the line that ended up winning the game for them. I told you it seemed easy.

Nice shots. This is the kind of situation where a D4 will come in handy :biggrin: May be able to squeeze another frame between these two shots which will be probably a stronger shot. What FPS were you using?

Well done Harry!

Nice shots. This is the kind of situation where a D4 will come in handy :biggrin: May be able to squeeze another frame between these two shots which will be probably a stronger shot. What FPS were you using?

great captures..

Thanks, guys. Mike, these were shot with the D300 with grip at 6.5-7fps. The in-between frame might or might be better (hard to beat the "flying" in the first frame) but almost surely the next frame would not have caught the ball before it entered glove. Closer would be better, but I'll settle for number two without too much regret.

I do wish my NX2 was not currently out of commission. These would be sharper....can't get Photoshop to match yet.

Harry, these are the best baseball photos you've taken SO FAR.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom