Critique The best wine I ever drank

I made a photo yesterday displayed at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/what-a-difference-nearly-ten-years-makes.321588/ and got the idea today of converting it to sepia. That's because I had already made two other sepia photos of the same wine and wine cork four years ago and wanted a complementary set of the three images. I have never displayed the older photos here at the Cafe, so I'm displaying all three of them together. The last one is the one I made today.

I prefer the sepia version of the last one whether displayed on its own or with the other two photos.

Mike 2016-03-27--006-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2016-03-28--005-S.jpg

Mike 2020-04-02--001BW-S.jpg

Last edited:
All are great works, Mike!
Comparing #1 & #3, the new one, what stands out is how more fitting the toning is on the new one.
I find the warmer toning is more in line with the product.
Composition wise, the new one also works much better for me.

Just one remark/question: there seems to be some perspective distortion on the bottle in #3.
Due to the other point of view likely.
Do you think it would be helpful for the overall image if that were corrected?
Could be tricky because the glass looks perfect.

Thank you to Urbanflyer and Bart!

there seems to be some perspective distortion on the bottle in #3.

I'm surprised nobody, especially Binnur, spotted that when viewing the color version in the other thread. I think the reason I didn't notice it is because I had just completed making a photo of another bottle that physically has exactly the same change in dimension from top to bottom with no perspective distortion that this image has with perspective distortion. That other image is almost a black-and-white image so you may like it (though it's in full color). It's at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/a-fabulous-virginia-red-wine.321596/

After seeing your helpful note, I quickly corrected the perspective distortion you noticed and making that correction definitely improves the image for me. I'll leave the uncorrected version on display in the thread so others can look for it.

No, I don’t recall the cost. I do know it cost more than than any other wine we would buy.

Indeed, I usually spend $15 to $25 but this wine cost us $500. Though years later the same store was selling it for $1200, even at $500 the next highest I ever paid for a bottle is $200. Both bottles were for important birthday celebrations, one for me and one for my wife. Other than those two wines, I don't think I've ever paid more than $125, though that will probably change in my pursuit of the 14 second growth grand cru Bordeaux reds. I began that quest by buying the least expensive wines but completing it might require spending more money per bottle.

I exactly asked the same question to myself Mike...Was there a distortion in the color image? If so, why didn't I notice ? Then I got back to the color version to check and yes the distortion was there but it was more difficult to notice it without viewing the image in a smaller size, I think it is because the green color distracted me from the distortion. I think the sepia toning makes it easy to notice as there are no other colors in the image which might draw my attention.By the way, I would really be very happy, if there was a possibility of viewing images in both smaller and original sizes at the Cafe.

I really love #2 and #3. Sepia toning matches the worn look of the label and the cork very much.

Thanks, Binnur! Your explanation makes perfect sense. For the record, I never thought for a nanosecond that you might have lost your eagle eye. :)

By the way, I would really be very happy, if there was a possibility of viewing images in both smaller and original sizes at the Cafe.

It wouldn't help with my images. That's because I only upload this relatively small size.

I've never had a taste of LaTour.

On a side note, I have been receiving a lot of emails from Napa wineries with some incredible offers. They are hurting with their tasting rooms being closed to the public. Several have opened their cellars with some good deals. I just ordered a case from BV which is one of my favorite wineries. Free shipping and some delicious wines to help me pass the time. I splurged. I hope they arrive soon.

I just ordered a case from BV which is one of my favorite wineries.
Mine too Mitch. I have fond memories of the 1976 Georges de Latour private reserve which I could buy in the early 80's for ~$30 /bottle. I haven't been to Napa/Sonoma for many years. Maybe pv (post virus). Btw I'm sure your '97 Opus will be just fine. Big Napa cabs like that should age gracefully for 30 years or more. At least thats been my experience. I had a 1996 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain about 2 weeks ago and it still had quite a bit of fruit left.

Btw I'm sure your '97 Opus will be just fine. Big Napa cabs like that should age gracefully for 30 years or more.

I was really surprised to see that note by Wine Spectator. Even more oddly, when they reviewed the barrel tasting in February 2000, they said it "should be long-lived." Yet when they reviewed it again just nine months later, they said it was best to drink it by 2010. For me, 13 years from harvest to drinking for high-end Cabs is not close to a long time.

Last edited:
Mine too Mitch. I have fond memories of the 1976 Georges de Latour private reserve which I could buy in the early 80's for ~$30 /bottle. I haven't been to Napa/Sonoma for many years. Maybe pv (post virus). Btw I'm sure your '97 Opus will be just fine. Big Napa cabs like that should age gracefully for 30 years or more. At least thats been my experience. I had a 1996 Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain about 2 weeks ago and it still had quite a bit of fruit left.

My wife and I have always loved BV wines, but we were thrilled when we finally got to tour the winery a few years ago. We were the only people there early on a weekday and it was my wife's birthday. We were treated like royalty and got to sample some very rare wines offered by our attentive and informative guide.

My wife and I have always loved BV wines, but we were thrilled when we finally got to tour the winery a few years ago. We were the only people there early on a weekday and it was my wife's birthday. We were treated like royalty and got to sample some very rare wines offered by our attentive and informative guide.
I remember the redwood fermentation casks at BV. Unique.

Latest threads

Top Bottom