The birds of Kauai - part 2

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Dec 19, 2005.

1. The Hawaiin Goose did not exist on Kauaii at the time Captain Cook arrived, although fossil records have been found. It was reintroduced a few decades ago, and is doing well, although it is still considered an endangered species.

And here is one of the next generation...

The Great Frigatebird, or Iwa, is a pretty cool bird. It has a 7 foot wingspan and weighs 3 pounds. These birds travel widely and birds banded in Kauai have been seen in the Philippines. Apparently the Iwa does not nest on Kauai. I saw these birds at Kilauea Point, a headland with a lighthouse, where they ride the thermals, along with the Booby's.

The Great Frigatebird is an agile flier, as illustrated in the following two photos from a chase sequence I managed to capture. During the chase, which occurred at high speed, the birds were frequently upside down.

Another shorebird is the Red-footed Booby, or 'A in Hawaiin. They received their less than complementary english name from sailors who believed these birds were stupid because they were so easily grabbed by the feet when landing on the ships rigging. The Red-footed Booby will dive from up to 100 feet above the ocean to capture small fish. I saw hundreds of these guys.

The Brown Booby is less common than it's red cousin, but I was lucky enough to get one chance for a frame filler. The Brown Booby frequently looks up while it is flying, checking out for marauding Great Frigatebirds I suspect.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow

Thank you.
    Every image is gorgeous.
    Thank you for the history and names as well..

More :>)))))

3. Wow yourself Gale - do you live on this board:wink: You sure are fast!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I was actually getting ready to click the close button and cought out the corner of my eye Part II
    Glad I did.
    Samething happened last time. I saw Hawaii. Gotta look :>)))

Besides your images are always so wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing.

5. Yes Rory, good stuff as usual. The Boobies are great captures.

Thanks for sharing, I'm with Gale your stuff is always top shelf.

6. Keep them coming Rory. These are great. I saw the Frigatebird when I was in Florida this summer. They are cool. When the fisherman returned for the day they would swarm around the boats. Fun to watch.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    More excellent shots Rory. Looks like a most productive trip.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    More cool shots Rory, and including some history behind the bird's origins is a nice touch. Love the Booby! :eek: :wink: :tongue:

9. Great shots Rory :biggrin:

10. So cool very nice capture of the brown bobby love the history behind the bird...thanks for sharing

11. Thanks everyone - glad you are enjoying this series. I will post one more set tonight.