The Black and White Film Developing Thread

I LIKE the stainless steel Nikkor tanks for 35mm and 120. After I learned to use them, the plastic reels seemed more difficult, to me. To each their own.
I have the 4x5 Nikkor tank, but never got around to trying it. I will probably use the Unidrum, so I can do just 2 sheets at a time.

Yes digital is more convenient, and I can do stuff that I could not even dream of doing in a darkroom.
But a wet darkroom is sooooo much more relaxing to work in.

Wet processing certainly distinguished between sheep and goats!
Also, for fine gradations and smooth tones in Black & White, a large silver/chlorobromide still knocks the socks off an Inkjet print with its limited and distinctly "stepped" 255 shades of grey.

Real Name
Chris
Chris;
Do you find any difference using distilled water, or just tap water for mixing your chemicals and washing?
I use distilled water only for the Photoflo (wetting agent) final rinse. This is the one that dries on the film, so I don't want any water spots from my super-hard Arizona tap water.

I LIKE the stainless steel Nikkor tanks for 35mm and 120. After I learned to use them, the plastic reels seemed more difficult, to me. To each their own.
Yeah, me too. I had a plastic set, but the film just never seemed to go on as smoothly as it does on the steel. Also all that movement was somewhat cumbersome in a bag. Now I have a whole dark closet for film loading though, so the movement doesn't matter. But I'm just so used to my steel reels, I don't see myself ever trying to change that. Unless I drop them. Bent steel reels just don't work very well.

Real Name
Carl
Chris; Good advice, re: not chasing the rainbow with many different films/developers, etc!👍 I like stainless reels/tanks, until something gets out of whack...dropping the reels, or the cap gets stuck, so a charge of dynamite worn't budge it! Maybe a good argument for rubber tank covers?

Chris; Good advice, re: not chasing the rainbow with many different films/developers, etc!👍 I like stainless reels/tanks, until something gets out of whack...dropping the reels, or the cap gets stuck, so a charge of dynamite worn't budge it! Maybe a good argument for rubber tank covers?
At one point, I was considering one of the replacement rubber tops, but reports were that it cracked.
Maybe wrong rubber compound.
If they have new ones today, hopefully better rubber.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom