The blues

Discussion in 'People' started by dtbh, Jul 26, 2007.

1. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    This was taken under direct sunlight with a reflector for fill.

905261936_52a7fea9b6_o.

2. Just beautiful, Banhup. Your colour is fantastic!

If you don't mind my asking, how do you deal with WB? Are you using CWB or are you achieving these wonderful colours as a result of tweaking in post?

I've found myself getting frustrated with colour casts lately and would love to figure out how to really eliminate them and get fabulous results like this.

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Beautiful as always but in the vein of wanting to offer 'some' sort of critique, possibly a bit too crisp or sharp this time.

4. Logan

Logan Guest

as always banhup, i like this piece... but one thing i think though (so take it with a grain of salt) i dont like this as much as others... something thats in the eyes... or should i say lack of...?

5. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thanks Steph! I always shoot in RAW and correct during PP if necessary. Have you tried Preset WB?

Thanks Hulamike! Your thoughts are always welcome. To me negatives are just as valuable (if not more) as positives. I must have pushed the envelop too far during sharpening...frequently happens when I do PP with my laptop. :redface:

Thanks Logan! I know what you mean as this is quite a heavily cropped image (50%).

6. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Banhup,

My friend, your natural lighting portraiture is astounding! I have a few flashes, new and some older, that I avoid even getting out of my bag, due in large part, to the beautiful results I ALWAYS find in your work. I am grateful that you are willing to share these with us (me!).

I'm surprised that this much fill on such a bright day did not cause this beautiful woman to squint. The falling light and the fill angle are virtually perfect. I might have moved the reflector up and to the right so as not to have caused the small lines under her eyes. But then you would have caused more shadow under her softly lit neck. Just an observation. Tnx!

Mike

7. I find the image and the model (your wife?) strikingly beautiful.

8. Wow Banhup you're an excellent photographer! Your images amaze me every time I look at them. Exposure is perfect. Also which lens did you use?

Anthony

9. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Mike, my pleasure to share. I know what you mean regarding the flash. Carrying them, setting them up etc can be a hassle sometimes. Hence I thought if I can get away with not using them it would help me enjoy this hobby better. There is of course a place for flash photography...just that I want to take the easy way out. :wink:

This shot was taken with Kharu standing on a wall and me shooting upwards. I found that was the best angle to get the right fill on her face but as you rightly pointed out it was at the expense on the effect on the lines below her eyes. I should have cloned that out. :redface: The reflection from the reflector was really quite bright and the reason she didn't squint was because she looked slightly away from it. Kharu is very good at giving me catchlights in every situation. She is that good.

Thanks Mike for your thoughts!

Thanks Dave! She is a paid model I engaged from Philippines. I can sometimes only dream (that she is my wife :biggrin::biggrin:).

Thanks a lot Anthony for the kind comments! I used the Nikon 28-70mm/2.8 for this one. It was a half-body shot which by itself is quite decent as far as composition is concern. I have cropped it because I like a tighter crop as I find the sky behind her a bit too bare.

10. Another awesome capture Banhup!! Did you do every color of the rainbow?? :biggrin:

11. Yet another truly great shot. That silk top is a dramatic color of blue and I suspect the full frame or others from the series would be striking as well.

Wonderful!! Thanks!!

Ken

12. Stunning!

Eagerly waiting for all other colours. :biggrin:

13. Normally I tell people to get out of the bright sunlight but you have pulled off an exception. Very nice fill with your reflector. Your model is lovely and your capture of her excellent. As one small nit, I would probably work the darker line under her left eye to more closely match the one under her right eye. Love your composition.

I am somewhat perplexed as to how her pupils remained that large out in the bright sunlight?

14. Again... the colors, skin tones, etc of all your shots amaze me. I dont know how you do it but I'd like to learn :wink:

Where did you meter this shot?

Would you mind posting the unedited original just so I can get an idea of how much processing was done?

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Amazing! I never would have thought that a reflector could balance out the shadows and highlights that much.

16. Yet another excellent shot of a beautiful woman Banhup, way to go.

17. Banhup............ just going to the first aid box my friend as I've just cut my self! How sharp is this????????? :eek::eek::eek:

Stunning colurs!

G

18. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Almost...a few more colors to go! :biggrin: Thanks Keith.

Thank you, Ken. Pleasure is all mine. Yes, there are still some keepers from this costume. Will see if they are worthwhile sharing. :wink:

Coming soon, Phil. And thanks!

Could it be because she was wearing contact lenses? That is the only reason I can come out with. Taking shots in bright sunlight is always a challenge. I experimented during the shoot with various settings and luckily got some decent shots eventually.

Thanks for the pointer on the left eye, Gordon. I will work on that.

I frequently use Matix metering and Continuous focus mode, and let the camera does the metering with the focus (obviously) on the eyes. No special technique here.

I'll post the unedited original as soon as I can.

Thanks Terri! The sun here can be blazingly hot...most of us got a tan after the shoot. :biggrin:

Thanks Kyle! I am glad you feel so.

Thanks Roy!

Is your cut ok now? :biggrin: Thanks Graeme!