1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Body or the Lens (chicken and the egg)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DangerKilo, Aug 13, 2009.

1. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a Nikon FE with the following AI/AIS lenses:
    17mm F4 (tokina)
    28mm F2
    50mm 1.8
    90mm 2.5 (tamron 1:2)
    135mm 3.5
    180mm 2.8

I also shoot with a Nikon D80 using only the 18-200vr. The problem is the lenses wont meter on the D80.
    Is it worth getting a D300 in the near future, so i can meter my lenses? Or should i just practice in M with no suggested meter, and save up for a D700... I definately want an FX body eventually, but at the moment the D80 does just fine- minus the not metering my lenses.

The body, or practice and get more lenses in the mean time. Still have macro, and fisheyes to get. And i would like to finish my canon bag too...

Daniel

2. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    get a d200 and keep shooting film :) 

3. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    lol. I love film too much to change. But sometimes it gets a bit spendy. Plus if i ever want to try for Pro status, i will need to be as good with a digital as i am getting wih film.

I would be buying early next year, so the D300 should drop under 1k by then. I ahve no interest in the 300s. only one small thing, the dual cards, but i can live without.

but yes FILM ROCKS! This week im going to try some Velvia 50 if it is sunny out. if not, some HP5 and maybe some Delta 100. I really like those. But i am itching to try some color film... i just dont want to pay for development. Yay BW.

Daniel

4. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Ok you might just be my hero Bourbon. This would help with my Horseman too.

Daniel

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I still shoot film and I have to admit I use my D3 like a light meter polaroid. Whats amazing is my Niko F3T/Fm2/F4s all give excellent exposer if you know where to meter:wink:. The other day I was picking up a couple roll of chromes and the tech says nice exposers. I just smiled. So it's still expensive to burn film , at least now I don't have to bracket like I did in the old days.

Go for the D3, you will love it. I notice keh has a couple used D3's right now with very reasonable price's.

6. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    My FE meters like a champion. I rarely get bad exposures out of it. If im pointing it at the right spot. The lenses I have are all quite good (for me) so I may do the light meter and hotshoe trick that Bourbon suggested, then I can save for the D700/D3... depends on how far i want to jump into the digital wonderland

Daniel

7. Daniel, although it seems like you are very happy with your d80, I feel like you should upgrade. The D80 and D200 are very close to the same price so you can sell your current body to fund it. I don't think that d300 prices will drop too much because it would encroach on the D90 price point; even for the used market. Once you are able to meter with your lenses, it will open up a whole new world for you once again, and you'll still be able to use the 18-200mm if you wish. The sensor is the same as the D80, so you should already have a hang of the metering. Think of it as "practicing" for the d700 in the future. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

8. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    You know, I think you are the first person I have seen make a solid statement of encouragement to upgrade to the next reasonable level. Many people seem to try to stomp out the upgrade fever with statements like, "do you feel restricted""why is your current camera not doing for you" etc. Kudos to you!

Or they come in with a more difficult upgrade. D80 huh, you need a D3X like yesterday!! (The above D3 used from KEH is an exception, those are quite reasonable, and i gotta hand it to Nikon AIS for having that suggestion) Had they been new, i would be forced to laugh and cry.

If i upgrade though, I would like to step out of my sensor, new pants so to speak. I see the colors coming out of the D300 sensors with no PP, and they blow the D80 out of the water. I do not know how the saturation works, but Sangetsu, a member on the forum, has some spectacular colors in his photos with no pp work. I dont know if the D200 can deliver that. I will have to research it. Needless to say, it is not something i am going to jump into quickly. I buy camera bodies for new Dslrs like i buy a new suit. Tailored. (at mens werehouse) but still! try it on, pose, do some macho man poses, then decide. I am undecided if i want to sell my D80, or have it converted to IR in the future.

In the meantime, i am going to scope out some of those light meters, and use them for now. Better to at least have the use of them all. even if mi gettnig pretty good at determining my aperture/ss

Daniel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.