The bounty of a garden...

For those of you who might know, I love to garden...I have a rather small area that I use as a raised bed garden, but I pack lots of plants into that small amount of space! I've got about 22 hills of yellow squash...4 hills of zuchinni...2 rows of okra... 12' of cucumbers...about 12 rows of corn...jalapeno peppers...habanero peppers...bell peppers...9 tomato plants...cilantro...basil...dill....oregano...chives...and lavender. By the end of this weekend I should be able to harvest the first of the yellow squash! We can hardly wait. But it's nice that it's also good for the photographer in me as well....Hope you enjoy!

Zuchinni Blossom...
24586195-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cucumber Leaves coming up through squash plants...
24586196-L.jpg

The front side of the garden...
24586200-O.jpg

The back side of the garden...
24586205-O.jpg

Nice set of shots, Leigh, but the second one really stands out. It's a terrific study in green. You should try entering it into a few POTD contests.

24586196-L.jpg

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I am with UF on this. nice stuff. Also I enjoyed the colorful nice shot of your son in the cafe challenge

That is wonderful Leigh. Great images of your bounty...

I used to love to garden....Sure miss it....

Thanks everyone! I wish you lived closer, I'd love to share my bounty with you. Hey, if you come to the cafe get-together in July, I'm sure the garden will still be booming!

Thanks Martin...I'm a huge fan of yours, so a compliment from you is really nice! :)

Kevin, yeah, I liked the color in the first one as well...something about how it starts out almost orange and graduates to deep green...but that's just Mother Nature at work...I just sat there in the dirt w/my camera and took the picture!

Cheers to you all!

Leigh,

I love the second image. The texture and color are fantastic! Your description made me so hungry. Congratulations and best wishes on a bountiful harvest... :D

Leigh,

Nice series. #2 really stand out with the peculiar leave's shape and the superpositiion of the small leaf over the large one. Great control of DOF. Congrats for good work done. Best regards.

Congrats Leigh,

the second shot really shines!

Isn't`t it surprising what new great visions appear when using macro.

What camera did you use? (isn't`t it a CP5700? Boy, I miss mine, sold it to get the $ for the D70)

I would like such a garden, too. But our new home is still surrounded by a "wasteland". Hopefully we will be able to create our garden in the next months.

mcs said:
Congrats Leigh,

the second shot really shines!

Isn't`t it surprising what new great visions appear when using macro.

What camera did you use? (isn't`t it a CP5700? Boy, I miss mine, sold it to get the $ for the D70)

I would like such a garden, too. But our new home is still surrounded by a "wasteland". Hopefully we will be able to create our garden in the next months.

Thanks Michael. It is really cool what Nature presents to us when we look, especially when we look closely w/Macro. My CP is actually the CP8800...got it back in March so I'm still learning to use it. I enjoy it though as I endure the learning process...

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Leigh, i love 1 and 2 also, for your camera what do you like about it compare to the 5700.

And i see your garden is quite big, do you eat everything fresh or do you do recipes that can be deep freeze. About the only thing i grow know is herbs, (parsley, tarragon, sorrel, thyme, basil, bay laurel, garlic chives, coriander, rosemary, oregano)

AlainGW said:
Leigh, i love 1 and 2 also, for your camera what do you like about it compare to the 5700.

And i see your garden is quite big, do you eat everything fresh or do you do recipes that can be deep freeze. About the only thing i grow know is herbs, (parsley, tarragon, sorrel, thyme, basil, bay laurel, garlic chives, coriander, rosemary, oregano)

Thanks, Gilles.

I haven't used the 5700 so I have no way to compare....I've used my husband's D70, D2H and (now) D2X and as far as that goes I like that the 8800 is small, lightweight and easy to use. It is very slow when I shoot RAW (which I do), so that is a draw back...but for my purposes right now it serves me well. Sometime in the future I'd like to have a DSLR as well (and keep the 8800) but I'm in no hurry. I'm a firm believer in mastering something before you move on...and I still have much to learn about the 8800 before I step up.

As to my garden...I have quite a large extended family and it brings me much joy to be able to share the bounty of the garden w/them and our friends. Whatever is left at the end of the season goes into the deepfreeze for winter use. The fresh herbs are a different story...they grow in such abundance that I can't give it away fast enough! :lol: But all I have to do is lay it on a pan in the freezer and then once it's frozen put it each in it's on zippered plastic bag and label. Once that's done it's pretty much as good as fresh for use during the winter months when buying fresh in the market would cost a fortune. (side note...it doesn't look quite as pretty as the fresh, but it still tastes better than the dried stuff).

Thanks for looking....Cheers to you!

Leigh there a lot of vegetables i use to grow, like tomatoes, now i have only 1 plant or 2 for summer use. For the rest i go in Montreal just before labor day at Marché Jean-Talon where i by my tomatoes (San Marzano) for winter, last year it was only $12 for a box of pretty close to 100 pounds.

Leigh
Why wait? Pluck that lovely flower you took, coat it in batter and deep fry. Delicious. Lovely pics by the way and the flower is my favorite.

Latest threads

Top Bottom