The Boy's All Right.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Very nice perspective and composition which tells a story more then merely just snapping a picture. The elements filling the space all make sense. I like it a lot.

2. Thanks Ned! Yep, it's not just a snapshot. As part of the shot I purposefully cut off the tops of the adults. Ah and there's a metaphor here if you look at the objects in the background. Whoops, talkin' too much about my own photos which I don't like to do ...:wink:

3. Yes, metaphors. It would be nice if you could explain! I like the Baby's presence reflected by the 2 objects... And there's 2 adults while there's only 1 baby (I know this sounds stupid but there are some nights where I just can't express myself as I would like). Quite nice pic!

4. Ned, what are the objects he has left behind? What is he doing on his own. Are the adults helping him? What does the expression on his face say about how he feels? I tell you Ned I really don't like analyzing my own pictures very much. It can come across as too much self-serving crap at times!:smile:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    But it's good to give us your intent Ray! This photo kicks!

6. Tells a story. Very well seen and composed.

7. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    A baby picture that is nicely composed and has a story... who woulda thunk it?

Nice work.

Chris

8. Thanks everyone for commenting.
    Chris, I don't know. I just have this feeling that between the title and the photo it should be able to stand on its own without any interpretation from the photographer.

Normally I like to take kid shots at their level but this one I wanted looking down. I got lucky here. Initially he was standing with his back to me so I waited and hoped he would turn and start climbing the steps to get the shot I wanted.

Believe me, I have plenty of cute baby shots but the really special ones, the few like this one that have some universal appeal are the ones I treasure the most.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It all depends on the photographer's intentions, the context of the viewing and the larger contest of where and why the photographs exists. For something personal like this one, it could go either way. However, some contextual anchoring, such as the background story that this one and your previous photo and story provide, can enhance the viewers (our) enjoyment of the photo.

On the other hand, sometimes photos are either self consistent or are eye candy and require no context to be understood. This one benefits from knowing who the players are and that he's left his 'adult driven transportation' behind.

10. wonderful facial expression..full of glee
    this shot works real well for me as you've intended,
    i particularly enjoy the truncation of the adult figures, and
    the lower left white 'column/tower' structure..the challenges ahead,
    the current steps needed to get there

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Great shot Ray and I for one really appreciate learning your thought process. Making a conscious decision to crop the image for effect is what its all about IMO. I like knowing that it wasn't just a snapshot grab and posted here just because it was filmeroo. Also nice that it's sharp and representational in the classic sense. Its not a deep image, could be any front porch anywhere; but its engaging due to the fine composition and tonal qualities.

12. Ray............ quality at it's best my friend. Simple as that! :biggrin:

G

13. Mike, for me the ultimate photograph is the ultimate snapshot. Something I'll keep striving for, at least!:biggrin: Also, I very much like photographs that are deceptive in their ordinariness. Yeah, at first glance this one just looks like a quickie snapshot. Thanks for your insight and comments!

Graeme, it's nice to see that you are alive and kicking! Have you been working long hours lately? Thanks for the comment and I am looking forward to seeing some more new shots from you! :smile::smile:

14. bryan

bryan Guest

I can't wait to tease him when he's older about his two personal assistants waiting at his beck and call!