The Brides Maid..

Discussion in 'People' started by Jarrell, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I wish I was better at this, but I try. This was a very serious young bridesmaid, absolutely didn't like pictures of herself smiling.. no... she had perfect teeth. I shoot they way they want me to..., or I try to... :)
    Jarrell

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    such beautiful skin

What great skin tones and light, Jarrell. I have photographed our priest several times in recent years. She's 54 and has had braces during this time. It's always been a challenge to do the non-smiling portrait. Now, for this woman there's no excuse, exept her own sense of self.

Next time you see her, tell her how beautiful we think she is.

Tom

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jarrell,
    Beautiful image. Great color, light.

Her dimples make up for, I don't want to smile.

Wonderful job.

You are an ace.

Regards
    gale

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks Tom and Gale. Tom, I use a plug in called Dfine Selective, a noise removal tool to help smooth out the skin. It's advantage is that it is done on a separate layer so you can reduce it's effect by reducing the opacity of the layer. Most people, especially women want their photos retouched. Just how much is up to you the photographer and the subject.. some like a lot... others just basic blemish removal. Anyway, try the plug in... I think you'll like it.
    Jarrell

5. WOW, Jarrell!! That is a great shot!! :) :) :) :)

6. You continue to churn out one great image after another. Well done my friend.

7. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Thanks, Jarrell. I'll definitely check it out.

Tom

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    That is a stunning photo, great light as well. One key light to her right, a hair light and a background light I assume. I am a noob to lighting, trying to learn as much as I can :)

9. Excellent lighting Jarrell. You did the most with what the model was comfortable with - congrats.

BTW, what is the bg - canvas or muslin? I'm looking for just about that exact color, would you mind sharing your source?

Thanks,

Joe

10. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I appreciate it! Obelix, you are correct with the lighting except for the bg light, there wasn't one. I don't use one with this particular backdrop because it is painted a very light color in the center area and I found I can get by without using it.
    Joe, the backdrop is a canvas one I bought from B&H Photo years ago. I looked through the makers (Studio Dynamics http://www.studiodynamics.com/shop/...3&cat=2&keywords=&match_criteria=) website but didn't see it listed. They do have some that are very close to it though.
    I hope that helps a little.
    Jarrell

11. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Sir
    Would you mind sharing what equipment was used to make this photo and the settings.

Thank you

12. tom500

tom500

Oct 24, 2008
    Grand Rapids
    this is great!

13. The craftsmanship on this one is excellent, it should have been posted in the formal portraits area (not a big deal if it is here.)

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    You wish you were better at this? Are you serious? This is a great image. Great lighting, great hair light (on top)...did you use a boom? Nothing wrong with this image. Do you mean generational transition?

15. Sanveann

Sanveann

Feb 8, 2010
    Lansing, MI
    Lovely photo! I bet she looks terrific when she smiles, too -- looks like she has fantastic dimples!

16. Amazing how an old thread comes back to life. Jarrell made the original post in 2005, nearly a decade ago.

17. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OMG...you're right. I feel stupid now. :(

18. Don't. It's still a nice portrait even after a few years.