The Broad Museum, Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by gnagel, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Yet another interesting building in downtown Los Angeles...the Broad Museum:

p2512708144-4.
    D800, 14-24 2.8

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  2. An interesting building, can't figure out what that is sticking out though.

3. Nice architectural shot with strong abstract characteristics.

Gordon: The image may also be a good Rorschach test. The thing I believe you think is sticking out I believe is recessed. It seems to me to be a window.

4. Optical illusion, playing games with my mind if that is the case.

5. Thanks Gordon and Mike...

Interesting...since I was there, it is easy for me to see that it is a recessed window. I'm having trouble seeing it any other way. But, that's because my mind is biased since I was actually standing there!

Glenn

6. Funny, even after you have explained it I still see it as sticking out. I wonder what the Rorschach administrator would say to that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Does the color version make a difference?

p2512881353-4.

Glenn

8. While the color version is great, the B&W holds my eye much longer. The bright blue/aqua oval is too dominating. Regardless, it's a great shot, and not having any sense of scale adds to the mystery. For all we know, the B&W version could be a closeup of some industrial/medical device.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I've done lots of tabletop photography of wine glasses when I couldn't tell which parts of the rim were the forward and rear parts without thinking through my physical setup. Even after doing that, my mind often gets confused about it while viewing the photo if I don't concentrate enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thanks Nick...I agree. I posted the color one just for reference. I thought it might help with the confusion over whether the window was recessed or not. I much prefer the B&W version as well.

Glenn

11. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    An excellent geometrical abstract, Glenn!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Bart...much appreciated.

Glenn