The Cal-Sag Channel (5 photos)

The Cal-Sag is a highly polluted navigation channel in southern Cook County, Illinois. Only sludge worms currently inhabit the water. I've been told that that the water is so polluted that it is possible to set a tripod up on the water itself!

Here are a few photos from last night. I used all of the gear in my bag!

1- Cruising the Cal-Sag (D700 and 24-70 f2.8, 1/640th @ f8, ISO 200, tripod)
p687788151-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- Sunset at the Channel (D700 and 70-200 f2.8, 1/200th @ f8, ISO 200, graduated ND filter, tripod)
p229715847-5.jpg

3- Blue Waves (D700 and 300 2.8, 1/80th @ f8, ISO 400, tripod)
p98832376-5.jpg

4- Twilight Over the Channel (D700 and 14-24 f2.8, 1/160th @ f9, ISO 200, tripod)
p78896878-5.jpg

5- Yellow Zinnia Along the Shore (D700 and 105 VR, 1/200th @ f7.1, ISO 200, handheld with VR on)
p158124153-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Cal-Sag may be polluted, but it certainly didn't prevent you from taking some exquisite shots. These are wonderful! My favorite is #1. I love how the water ripples created from the boat forms a leading line that sends your eye straight to the bridge, and the colors are fantastic!

Well done, Glenn!

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Great shots Glenn,

Really like # 1. One question: if you shoot at 1/640, why do you use the tripod? Do you use it to frame the pic 'nice and easy' ? Or is there some other reason?
I ask this, because where I live, I can make this kind of pictures (sun setting over a broad expansion of water) every night and as I just starting to learn my new D700, I was wondering why you used a tripod.

Great shots Glenn,

Really like # 1. One question: if you shoot at 1/640, why do you use the tripod? Do you use it to frame the pic 'nice and easy' ? Or is there some other reason?
I ask this, because where I live, I can make this kind of pictures (sun setting over a broad expansion of water) every night and as I just starting to learn my new D700, I was wondering why you used a tripod.

Rob,

I use a tripod whenever I can. It isn't really as necessary for dealing with camera shake at 1/640th. But, it does help me to slow down and really lock in on a composition.

Also, as I switch lenses (one image was taken with the 300 f2.8), the tripod is set up and ready to go. I know that the photos will be as sharp as possible with a tripod, cable release and mirror lock up.

I also tried a few bracketed shots for HDR. That definitely required the tripod.

Finally, as the conditions continued to darken, I had everything set up and ready to go.

I hope this helps...
Glenn

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
I'll will start using my tripod as I'm still not 'slowing down' enough. (seriously, I'm often look, compose, press the button and go on)
Thanks for the explanation.

I'll will start using my tripod as I'm still not 'slowing down' enough. (seriously, I'm often look, compose, press the button and go on)
Thanks for the explanation.
Rob,

I find a tripod to be one of the most useful accessories. Many people consider it to be a hassle to lug around. I'm never without mine unless I'm shooting in a venue where it isn't allowed. Even then I'll try going with a monopod if it is permitted!

Glenn

Those are really good, Glenn. I like the pastel colors. You also always seem to finish a great image with a great border treatment, also!

Shame about the water quality, though.

Regards,
John

Are you sure about that tripod rumor? When i visited NY I saw one of their polluted rivers, and you couldnt stand anything on it. It would just dissolve! :eek:

Are you sure about that tripod rumor? When i visited NY I saw one of their polluted rivers, and you couldnt stand anything on it. It would just dissolve! :eek:
Here are a few tidbits about this river:

"As of 2006 it is also used more as a conduit for wastewater from southern Cook County, including the Chicago-area Deep Tunnel Project, into the Illinois Waterway."

"It has been listed as one of the 43 Great Lakes Areas of Concern (AoC) since 1986. AoC's are designated by having an impairment in at least one of fourteen beneficial uses. The Grand Calumet is the only AoC to be impaired on all fourteen. These impairments include total fish consumption restrictions, beach closings, fish tumors or deformities, animal deformities or reproductive problems, and loss or degradation of fish and wildlife habitat, benthos, phytoplankton, and zooplankton populations, among others."

"Today, sediments on the river bottom are "among the most contaminated and toxic that have ever been reported."

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom