The case for a dedicated macro lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Close up filters and extension tubes can get you good results, but have limitations. The "macro" setting of zoom lenses can be pretty good, and offers more flexibility. But if you want a lens that won't hold you back, you need to get a true macro lens... or a Nikon calls it, a micro lens.

The Nikon 60/2.8 micro and Tamron 90/2.8 macro are two popular lenses on this forum, and are affordable, too. I opted for the 60/2.8. Since it's a short focal length, it can be hand held at low shutter speeds without obvious degradation from camera shake. It also serves a fine portrait lens, and is great for tabletop product photography... a very versatile lens. I find myself using it as a single walk-around lens at times. Here's some samples.

View attachment 87650

View attachment 87651

View attachment 87652

View attachment 87653

View attachment 87654

View attachment 87655

View attachment 87656

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Golden Retrievers just always have that smile.

3. Great choice, I made the same one and find it on the camera quite often when I want a shot of the puppy sleeping, or what not. Great as a macro lens for static objects, and a very good portrait lens.

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I have the 105 micro and even though I've only had it for a couple of weeks I find myself not using it that much. I normally am using my 70-300 VR lens as I like the functionality of the zoom better. I'm going to thang onto the macro lens though as I can see where it will probably come it very handy in the future...

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I like my Tamron 90 very much.

However for bug work, espcially scorpions, aggressive spiders, and stinging insects (ants and bees), I find the combination of a Canon 500D and either an 80-200 or 300 (with or without ext. tubes) gives as good an image without placing the photographer in "harms way".

I especially like the range of sizes one can achieve on the 80-200. But it and the 300 (which is at 1:1 or better with the 500D due to its close focus, as well using the TC1.4 with the setup) require the use of a very good tripod and often the SB800 (can we say heavy?).

Thus like you, I went to a dedicated lens and find it a great tool.

I could see the 60mm as a "normal lens", especially as the higher ISO performance improves.

6. You would think someone would have figured out how to prevent VW bus fires by now. I have personally witnessed 3 over the years!

Nice photos no matter what you shot them with.

7. Love that last shot of the lilly!

8. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

UF

Good to see you still doing your thing. Quite a portfolio you have amassed - and you still have the touch with living things (including people).

patrickh

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's the fuel pump that sits on top the engine with push on rubber hoses. I put hose clamps on mine ('66 beetle) and didn't worry about it any more.

Frank - I just love seeing your lens specific photo sets!

10. Thanks for all of the kind replies!

Chris, I have directories on pbase for each of my lenses. Any time I'm lucky enough to get a good shot, I put a copy in the appropriate sample driectory. It makes it easy to put together lens-specific posts. I seem to recall that you do the same...

11. Love the images, Frank... particularly the one of the dog. It looks like my dog... Oh wait... It IS my dog, Belle, LOL! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

12. One of my favorite pictures, and one of my favorite dogs, Philippe.

13. Well, she's my favorite dog too, but the image you took with your 85/1.4 outside the coffee shop ranks even higher than this one, in my book. :wink::smile:

14. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Where's Dianne??? I think she wanted to see flowers and the 60 macro!! That is a great lens ..... and I really, really NEED to stay out of this forum. I want too much when I visit!!!

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    Did you do all of these handheld?
    I enjoy every one of your picture series threads.

Thanks,
    Gaye

16. Hi, Gaye! Yes, they were all handheld. One of the nice things about the short 60mm focal length is that you can work without a tripod. The tradeoff is the short working distance compared to the Tammy 90 or the Nikon 105.

Thanks so much. You're a great forum mate!

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,
    Okay, that's good news about the 60mm. I have always thought I'd have to use a tripod for any macro lens. Now I'm going to take this 60mm out and give it a whirl.

Thanks a million! I always learn something on your good threads.

Gaye

18. johnadams

johnadams Guest

60mm Micro - a great bargain

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Ed

19. rubendparra

rubendparra Guest

very sharp Ed!