The Case of the Purloined Parrot

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 30, 2007.

1. I was hanging at the beach in Florida, enjoying the parade of bathing beauties when I heard a bird squawking loud enough to wake the dead. I grabbed my camera and hunted for the source, and soon came across a guy with a large, agitated parrot on his shoulder.

Chatting with him, I learned that he's a volunteer for one of the S. Florida Raptor Rescue programs. He lives about 30 miles away, and received an urgent call to make a rescue. It seems a fellow passed out on the beach, and while they were putting his stuff in the ambulance, they discovered a beautiful Macaw in a cardboard box among his possessions. The beastie was in bad shape from the heat and lack of water, so the volunteer took custody until the owner was released from the hospital.

View attachment 108737

The parrot's owner was supposed to meet the volunteer to take possesssion of the bird, but, he was over an hour late. You can make your own backstory, but I figure the parrot was stolen property.

View attachment 108738

The fascinating part is, Macaws are big powerful birds, and the volunteer wasn't quite sure if it was going to nibble his ear or bite it clean off.

View attachment 108739

He was a brave guy, but he wasn't taking the Macaw lightly, and the tension was palpable. I hope it comes through in these pictures, and that the beautiful bird found a good home.

View attachment 108740

2. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

The Blue and Gold macaw looks to be a young one still.

3. Those birds are simply beautiful but there's just something about that weapon on the front of their face that gives me pause. I think I'll leave the "handling" to others.

Nice series, Frank -- great color.

Phil

4. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Great photos of a beautiful bird. Quite valuable too, they cost over £2000 ($4000) in the UK.

Hope it found a good home.
    Andy