The Catcher

I captured this picture of one of my 12U baseball players the other day...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Powerful portrait, Glenn! The compositional lines, processing, expression......it just all works together!

Glenn, this is great! You really got under that mask with your lighting and avoided shadows which is no easy feat. The tough expression you captured makes it that much better.
Thanks Mitch...I used two approaches to get the lighting under the mask. First, the main light was a large (47") octabox that practically lit his entire body. Next, I positioned a large reflector about waist high to bounce some light in there.

My goal was to create some shadows on his face for depth. So, I moved the main light mostly to my left to accomplish that.
I agree on the technicals. The catcher would be very happy to have such a great shot of himself. I know I would have, 60 odd years ago.
Thanks Allan...I'm not sure if the player saw this yet, but his parents were thrilled with it!

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Your dedication to these young boys is admirable! Not only the coaching, but the role model you provide to them is invaluable! And using your photographic prowess gives them and their parents priceless family treasures. Well done!

Everything everyone already said. Very, very well done!

One small nitpick perhaps worth attending to considering how strong the photo is: The eyes, of course, are really important, so it immediately bothered me at first glance that the far right bright spot in the boy's left eye is so much brighter than any other tones in the eyes. Consider toning that down just a bit.

Your dedication to these young boys is admirable! Not only the coaching, but the role model you provide to them is invaluable! And using your photographic prowess gives them and their parents priceless family treasures. Well done!
Thanks again, Karen...much appreciated. I certainly enjoy the time I spend in both coaching and photography.

One small nitpick perhaps worth attending to considering how strong the photo is: The eyes, of course, are really important, so it immediately bothered me at first glance that the far right bright spot in the boy's left eye is so much brighter than any other tones in the eyes. Consider toning that down just a bit.
Thanks Mike...I don't know how I missed that! It's a result of the light, but definitely needs correcting. I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

Good catch! I didn't notice that bright spot in the left eye!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
A member dropped me a note wanting to feature one of your threads and remain anonymous, Well deserved on the entire series. I Chose the volleyball one because of you discussing your lighting set up! Thanks Glenn.

A member dropped me a note wanting to feature one of your threads and remain anonymous, Well deserved on the entire series. I Chose the volleyball one because of you discussing your lighting set up! Thanks Glenn.
Thanks Wade...that's very nice of the member.

I will add a lighting diagram to the thread so that it will be easier for viewers to see exactly how it was setup.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom