Critique "The Cathedral of the Confederacy"...Richmond

The historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church (opened in 1845) has been nicknamed "the Cathedral of the Confederacy". General Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis worshiped in this Richmond church.

p3555866017-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3555866042-5.jpg

p3555866051-5.jpg

p3555866020-5.jpg

p3555866021-5.jpg

p3555866044-5.jpg

p3555866018-5.jpg

p3555866045-5.jpg

p3555866048-5.jpg

p3555866044-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Another in your superb series of interiors! The photos of the organ are particularly beautiful.

But I couldn't help adding a quote:

"It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged."

Such gorgeous color and such unique color combinations.

Photo #10 seems to be a duplicate of #6.
Thanks Mike...it should be this one:

Glenn

Spectacularly sharp and colorful as your church interiors always are. I would love to hear Bach played on that pipe organ.
Thank you, Jim
Wonderfully done Glenn
Thanks Tony
Another in your superb series of interiors! The photos of the organ are particularly beautiful.

"It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged."
Thanks...much appreciated!

Glenn

From Lincoln's second inaugural address, IIRC.

Lovely images, as always, Glenn.

Done very well. I like seeing this different looking cathedral.
Thanks Allan
Really superb images, Glenn. Beautifully rendered from edge to edge. Could you remind us what kind of post you do to balance the lighting and white balance? I'd love to attempt a similar process. Bracketing helps for sure, but your light balance and sharpness are incomparable.
Thank you, John

The basic process is that I bracket my shots...and then add one additional manual exposure that is exposed in a manner to ensure that all of the highlights (usually the chandeliers and stained glass windows) can be recovered.

For white balance, I try to identify a gray area within the frame and use the WB eyedropper tool in Lightroom to set the white balance. Once the white balance is determined, I sync it across the other images from the same interior.

Generally there is some ugly blue color on the wooden pews, ceiling and floors due to daylight streaming in from the windows and mixing with the much warmer light sources. To correct that, I add a hue/saturation layer in Photoshop and reduce the blue saturation. I then mask that layer and paint the blue out of those portions within the frame.

For stained glass windows, I will take the HDR file from Lightroom and add a layer (with that underexposed manual exposure frame discussed above)....I then add a luminosity mask to apply the stained glass exposed image to the windows. I then paint in a little more detail by taking a white brush at low opacity and adding in a little more of that underexposed image as needed.

I hope this helps...
Glenn

Wow. Stunning.
Thanks Nick

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom