1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Cedar Waxwings have moved on. . until next year

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gerald Plowman, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Bill Dewey, Jim Thiel, Andy Rogers, and George Nickols have all stoped by of late to shoot the cute little "velvet coated" birds that frequent a large wild bush in my yard when the berries are ripe.

large.

These little birds have unmatched table manners. . . appears this one stuck his Bubblegum on his forehead before eating berries.

View attachment 107107

After accumulating about 4,567 images of these guys, we became amuzed by trying to catch them flying between limbs. . . very difficult to do. This is one of the sharper ones I got.

View attachment 107108

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are a beautiful bird.
    Beautiful images

They came through here and I got some pics.
    But nothing close. They were in flocks and about as skittish as any birds I have ever seen.

However being that this is the first time I have seen them at all, I was pleased.

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I have never heard of this bird. Great images, and I enjoyed reading about Gale's experience with this specie, as well!

4. They came through Alabama, Guess the flew right over Kentucky:biggrin:

Great captures of a beautiful bird.

5. We shoot them from a deck at about 20-30 feet away. . . they don't stay in one place very long, always moving. . . they go from one berry producer to the next.. . if you can find a schrub or tree where they are currently eating berries, they seem to allow you to get very close.

thanks for looking. . . their feathers are very fine and almost "silk" like. . .very busy and beautiful little bird.

thanks. . the books say they basically "migrate" within a region and just follow the ripening berries. . .sometimes they will eat insects. . . they have been known to eat themselves into a state of intoxication. . they do like their berries.

6. Does anyone know what kind of berries these little beauties like? I wouldn't mind attracting them to my yard! Beautiful photos BTW!

7. Beautiful! Love the in-flight shot.

8. Gerald,

Great on that third shot, the BIF. The others are pretty good as well.

I have been stalking out about a dozen at Lake Fenwick in Kent, Wa. I wondered where they went a few weeks ago, you mentioned they migrate.

There are no berries around there that I can see, but they are great at grabbing insects in the air. I would love to get one in flight.

9. thanks. . . no, we don't know the name of the "bush/tree". . .it is wild however. . .we have taken cuttings to several nurseries and looked in several books.

Ron, here is a Site with some information for you. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/BOW/CEDWAX/

I have seen them in the "woods" near the saltwater before eating "berries" on wild bushes. . . . if you or I can remember about the middle of June next year, you are welcome to come up and shot them all day long. . . I would love to find one of their nests. . . appears they might still be nesting per this and other articles I have read about them.

10. Good link Gerald, thanks for it and the invite. Way more info than my Sibley.

I also keep forgetting to check th local Tweeters list for bird sightings. Probably a good place to check for the current migrations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.