The chopper

Yeah, this was taken with the travelling camera. I don't know why, but today I kept shooting motorcycles.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow! what an awesome shot! love everything about it!
Thanks! Me too. :)

Couple questions...

What is the traveling camera? And, what's the line across the bottom of the frame?
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186688
The line was there on a few of the frames on this film, I don't really know what I did but it's one of those signs that cry "amateur at large!" :)

I'm still scratching my head as to how this was exactly done, but I sure do like it!:smile: Semi-diagonal pan?
Thanks. Well, I saw this guy sitting impatiently at a red light, and got ready: crouched down low, set the shutter to 1/15, guesstimated the distance... When he roared across the intersection (and he really opened that thing up) I panned and clicked. He changed lanes towards me, so there was quite a bit of him getting bigger during the pan, I guess that's what made it. I'm just happy I got this, and hope it's eternally uncopyable. :biggrin:

Yeah baby!!!
Now THERE'S an appropriate reaction to that shot. Thanks, Chris! :biggrin:

I'm loving that shot!!! Almost looks like a pan with a front-curtain sync flash.
Yes, that and/or some zoom action. :) In fact it's just a Harley rumbling towards a handheld Olympus rangefinder.

Thanks everyone. This is going on my wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was scratching my head, I kept thinking, that looks like a touch of a zoom-pan and I knew it was shot with a rangefinder...it was making my head hurt premature of the wine last night!
It really is an amazing capture, I would love to see it as a big print.:smile:

Great shot! Love the pan!
Yeah - anybody able to see whether it's a panhead as well? :smile:

Thanks!

this is fantastic, great job tormod!!
Thank you panda, I have to attribute quite a bit of luck though.

And it should. This is the type of shot that Harley riders would pay for - if for nothing else, to use as desktop wallpaper.
Well, now they have a chance, if they go to <shameless promotion> http://hovmod.etsy.com </shameless promotion> :)

When I was scratching my head, I kept thinking, that looks like a touch of a zoom-pan and I knew it was shot with a rangefinder...it was making my head hurt premature of the wine last night!
:biggrin: I don't know how it happened. The photo gods were with me that day (maybe I should become a pantheist now?)...
It really is an amazing capture, I would love to see it as a big print.:smile:
I'm expecting it from the print shop tomorrow or wed...

Killer shot! Love it!
Thanks!

*stunned*

way cool!
Yup, thanks. Stunned me too, as soon as I saw the negative right out of the tank I knew it was a good one. :D

Thanks everyone. Glad you all like it.

Two things:

1) I've re-scanned it to get rid of the nasty line that the scanner added at the bottom, and...

2) I've just received an order for a high quality poster-sized print of this picture, complete with a proper fee for the artist (me). It's going to be a birthday present and will most likely end up on the wall in the office of a police inspector who is also a biker and the love interest of an old friend who found my flickr page through Facebook. How's that for networking?

:m49:

Today I handed in the painstakingly photoshop-dusted file to the print lab.
I had it scanned on a Hassy Imacon 646 at 6300 dpi, which most of all taught me a thing or two about my own scanner...

Carefully cloned out lots of dust and made a black border. It's going to be printed on canvas on an Epson 11880 and then hand varnished.

Crossing fingers now. Can't wait to see the result (on monday), which has been paid for in advance by the customer! :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom