The Civil War Remembered - Easthampton MA (warning large download)

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Some of you may remember this building from a telephoto shot I took from the top of Mt Tom in May, and showcased in "Landscapes, etc". Here's a small repro in case you missed it:

original.

Here is the building in its close-in glory:

[​IMG]

But the most interesting thing about it is its history as explained in this dedication, set in granite on its front. I've included a half-size jpg here (if you care to click on it) so that the picture is large enough to easily read the chiseled text:

[​IMG]

This little town (current pop 15,000) probably had no more than a third of that population in the mid-1800s, and yet they lost 22 men and boys in the Civil War....5 from battle, including a West Point commander; but 6 who died while prisoners in Andersonville, plus a total of 11 who died of disease while serving. It is these latter two statistics that really caught my attention.....the civil war was apparently as brutal to captives as depicted, and the conditions under which the men marched, camped, and fought were apparently as dismal to health as portrayed. Five killed in battle, six dead from disease or maltreatment as prisoners, and eleven felled by disease! The mind boggles.

War truly is hell! And this one perhaps more than most. But Easthampton thankfully still remembers due to this monument of a building.

2. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Very cool. I love the shots. When I saw Civil War and MA in the same sentence I started to scratch my head. I though this had something to do with an actual battleground. I miss this kind of history living out west...

3. great thread, harry
    wonderful shots
    nice to see some "history" here
    thanks for sharing

4. Great work Harry!! Love to see my hometown through someone else lens.

5. QUOTE=waltny;1946483]Very cool. I love the shots. When I saw Civil War and MA in the same sentence I started to scratch my head. I though this had something to do with an actual battleground. I miss this kind of history living out west...[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Tim. It's one of the things I love about living in New England. History is all around....if you just take the time to stop, look, and listen.

Thanks, Gregg. I enjoyed doing it.

Just so you don't take it for granted, Pat! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.