Critique The Color Purple in Nature

My wife's orchid isn't cooperating as it adds blossoms, as the blossoms aren't arranged in the typical way that is so conducive to pleasant compositions. So, I closed in on the most recent blossom, which I'm confident will also be its last blossom of the year.

Setup
See the second photo.

Focus Stacking
30 focus-bracketed images at CamRanger step size Small stacked in Helicon Focus using Method C set to a value of 1.

Mike 2021-01-31--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Setup
The thing with red-orange trim at the top is a flashlight held from above by a clamp. The flashlight brightly lit the forward-most, pointy pair of thingies.
Mike 2021-01-31--0004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Dan
Crazy detail and color, Mike. Since you asked for critique I'll just mention that the flower is "facing" toward the short side of the frame rather than towards the center. Not always a bad thing but in this case looks slightly off IMO.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It seems that the camera was titled oh so very little to the right..... not square with the flower. In all other respects, well done!

Thank you to Dan and Karen!

the flower is "facing" toward the short side of the frame rather than towards the center.
the camera was titled oh so very little to the right

That was by design. Notice the two pointed thingies closest to the camera. I composed the scene so those two thingies are symmetrically framed by the part of the blossom behind it. If I had framed the scene with the camera straight on to the rest of the flower, one of those thingies would have been to the left.

That decision then led to the camera being slightly to the left of center, which made the scene more dynamic (less static) to my eye.

Where is there a rule that the camera should be straight on with the flower? Where is there a rule that all rules should be followed all of the time? You get my point. :)

I was aware right away that it was off-center

That was my intent, that the off-centered characteristic would be obvious from the outset.

longed for it to be centered.

Whatever works for others is fine for me. Even so, I make photos for me, not others. When others like the way I make them, that's great. When others prefer that I had made them differently, that's also great.

Maybe slightly off center is different than being taken from more of an angle.

Yes, the two concepts are different, not necessarily better or worse. If the angle had been more exaggerated, the composition I wanted would not have been possible. I know because I tried it.

Hi Mike. I really like the sharpness and clarity in the core of the flower. So I would suggest a tighter crop. But this is just me..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom