The Coming Earthquake in Photography

Dirck Halstead looks at a rather narrow segment of the market for digital visual equipment. If the technology exists and the demand is there, obviously manufacturing companies will oblige. So, new technology overtakes older technology purely driven by specific demand. If the Dallas Morning News has changed their way of operation, others in the publishing business will undoubtedly follow, but it seems to me that this is only a segment of the overall market for digital still photography that will be changed. The general public does not want to be involved in selections of video stills in PP, they go to the local drugstore to get their prints made... So, these technologies will co-exist for a long time to come.

fks

i've been eyeing the canon TX1 precisely because it's a mix of camera and video camera. the convenience of having both is what attracts me. if a still camera can have a video mode, that makes it an even more versatile piece of equipment.

will video win over stills? i can see that happening with the youtube generation. they're happy with their cellphone pictures, so high quality stills aren't a big thing for them.

there will always be a place for still photography, but i do see that it may eventually be relegated to the sidelines as video takes over. it won't stop us from taking photographs, but we will become a minority.

ricky

Remember the song "Video killed the radio star"? Everyone thought when MTV first started that radio usage would die. MTV and VH1 are now filled with regular programming and hardly show videos anymore. In fact, radio has had a big surge in listeners in recent years due to the growing popularity of talk radio. Even the iPod craze hasn't diminished radio much. Though, iPods have taken a chunk out of CD sales. But, CDs are still popular, just not as popular.

It seems like everytime there is a new technology or a big advance in a present technology, a lot of people over react and have to claim how this is going to take over and make everything else obsolete.

Just as DVD sales have affected the amount of moviegoers, the cinemas/movies are still going strong.

And even though the internet has affected newspaper sales, newspapers are still very popular and are still turning a profit.

Frankly I think the whole article is garbage. A technical term, look it up :wink:

More worryingly I see a future where processing power will be so cheap and capable that it will no longer be necessary to go and photograph anything. Any scene, however detailed, however ambitious, if it can be imagined it can be created to order.

You will no longer be able to trust your eyes, there will be no truth. The critical moment, the image, will be available wholesale and we will all be able to save a lot of carbon by never going anywhere.

I hope I die first.

The author of the article is absolutely correct, in the sense that technological progress will at some point allow to use a dSLR for videos. Except that these videos will be much better than what we record with a point-and-shoot or a low end camcorder: because our dSLRs have better sensors, better resolution, letter (and interchangeable) lenses.

I also think that the article is misunderstood: this is not about video replacing photography. The way I read it is this is about being able to do both with just one device (which is bound to happen).

If you had the ability to take videos with you camera and leave that camcorder home, would you still insist on using a camcorder for videos? Probably not.

I don't think that Canon having a video division gives it any advantage, though.

Thierry

Not much has been said in this debate about the reference to vertical pictures going away.

I have yet to see a magazine whose cover is not vertical. Magazines bound at the top? Can you visualize what reading it would be like? Have you noticed that when people read newspapers on buses, subways, etc. that they always fold it to a vertical format (presumably) not to bop their fellow passengers on the nose?

Also, except for groups, portraits are still vertical; and can you imagine a horizontal shot of two basketball players vying for a rebound? Of course you could have video cameras (of the future) which might be switchable between horizontal and vertical. But I can't see the vertical format going away.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom