The conditions couldn't have been much worse @Viera

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    When you need a foghorn to find your shooting partner, (Harris), you know the shooting's gonna be pretty bad. The fog did lift, but it was as grey as an 18% grey card in the sky. All in all though, it was good to see the great potential there, and to meet eveyone who came to meet up with us, Harry, Gale & Scott.
    Here's the best I could come up with, and it ain't no award winning exposition!
    Even the Hawk got his feathers ruffled at the weather!
    original.
    Even the Greenie just stared at us like we were nuts!
    original.
    Anhinga?:
    original.
    Couple Buffleheads?
    original.
    Limpkin
    original.
    When the shooting got slow(er) I turned to doing landscapes!
    original.
    Even a couple of peeping toms showed up to see what in the world we were up to! (Kevin & Gale)
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2005
  2. Hey no bellyaching I will take your weather and you can have mind!. Glad you got to head up to Viera beleive me it is a paradise for sure

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

No snow on the ground? Lots that could have been worse. Currently I experience a real white-out over here so wouldn't have seen any bird unless it landed on my lens - you people are really spoiled :biggrin:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol Steve...

Your Buffle duck is a Hooded Merganser :>))
    The Anhinga looks good. I like the light coming through the feet.

Great to see them.

Hell these are better than mine..lol

Good one of the peeping photogs. lol
    We had fun shooting at each other anyway.

but sure was fun.

5. looks like a great time none the less. the anhinga shot is really nice. That lighting seemed good for him.
    Dave

6. Nothing wrong with those images.. Sometimes a overcast day allows the colors and details to pop more on animals...

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Not bad not bad at all.
    for some reason the Cows in pasture really grabs me, I even like the bright red tag on his ear

8. Hey Steve! It was great finally getting to meet you! Next time leave Harris behind since Harry says he's the weather jinx! When you want to shoot the eagles let me know and I'll stay home since Harry says I'm the eagle jinx!

You'll have to come back again soon so we can show you Viera on a typical sunny day! That weather was atrocious!! And to think I got up really early and arrived by 745a! Figures!

Glad you returned the jacket as I definitely need it today! :Headset:

Liked the shootout shot as Gale called it! :Guns:

9. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I really like these shots. The fog is certainly a shooting challenge, but it makes a nice soft background.

The anhinga shot looks like a James Audobon print (I think it's the pose).

10. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Steve, can I tell you the way I get rid of grey skies?
    First I use select/colour range and then click on the mass of grey.
    Adjust the slider until the subject is almost a silhouette and then click ok.
    Then holding the alt key remove any small parts of the subject that were accidentaly selected
    Then adjust the colour and saturation of your selected sky to a nicer blue or red etc.
    Now if you deselect you will notice a small line around the image that gives away what you have done. To stop this reselect and then inverse the selection so the bird is now selected.
    Then modify the selection to expand by around 10 pixels.
    Go lightly around the edges of the selection with the blur tool at a low strength.
    Now get the burn tool at a strength of around 30% and again go lightly around the edge of the selection.
    Any obvious transition should now be gone! Hope you dont mind but here is a quick mock up of what I am talking of with your image.
    [​IMG]
    To show the line I am talking of I left the log as it was.
    Hope its of some use to you or someone else. Pretty sure many have another way but living in the Uk you have to learn to do something with grey skies and I find this works ok.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, Chaz that's a pretty incredible transformation, thanks for showing me how to do it! Now, if I ever get any "real" keepers, Im gonna try that!

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks for looking in Chris. Hope we have better light next time!

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Kev, notice how I discretely blurred out your license plate?
    We'll get back there again when the weather's predicted to be nice!

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks Dave, Eric & Ben,

At least I got to see the place. fyi, that landscape shot had the sat turned up about 40% in NC!

15. hey, if it rains because of me, how come we've had 3 hurricanes since harry moved here....:cool:

16. Lol, Steve! Yeah, I noticed. Looks like you washed and waxed it too in Photoshop! :wink:

I think I need an f2.8 lens. Mine looks too skinny!!

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    It's the focal length's lens compression, Kev

I shot that with 700mm focal length! :cool: