The Consternation of the Tie

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Thos Quinn, Sep 16, 2005.

1. We are all familiar with the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat but we seldom give a second thought to the consternation of the tie. While not quite the agony of defeat, for a nine-year-old soccer goalie, it is a bummer nonetheless.

This photo essay features my son Forest (I noticed that no other blue uniforms are in this series; gotta have a talk with his teammates to give a little help around the goal). This was his team’s first game of the season and we scored early so held a 1-0 lead for 59 and ½ minutes of the 60 minute game. The game started at 5:30 and thus the low angle of the sun along with the orientation of the field made taking pictures toward the goal Forest was defending in the first half a hassle (faces in shadow etc.). But, take my word, Forest blocked innumerable shots. At the start of the second half (when the lighting on the goal was friendlier) I was involved with “stuff” so all these shots were taken from the sidelines in the last 10 minutes or so of the game.

#1 They tried low shots. (Forest's pose indicates that he too may want to have a son of his own one day.)
    [​IMG]

#2 They tried high shots.
    original.

#3 They tried more low shots.
    original.

#4 But each and every time the steadfast Forest Quinn would come up with the ball…
    original.

#5 …and boot it down field to his teammates who obviously felt no need to run all that way up field to help out seein' as the “Mighty Quinn” was their goalie :smile: .
    original.

#6 Then, with seconds remaining in the game, the unthinkable :Shocked: … Half blinded by the setting sun, Forest still managed to deflect a last desperate shot away from the goal with his right hand… unfortunately the ball rolled directly to another opponent who was smack-dab in the middle and inches away from the goal.
    Game Tied!! …tick, tick, tick… Game Over!!
    original.

#7 The long walk off the field. For those unfamiliar with consternation, that’s it written all over Forest’s face.
    original.

All shots taken with a D70, Nikkor 70-300ED; iso 200; RAW. I used aperture priority and adjusted to keep the shutter around 1/1000 sec. I really liked shots #5 and #7 and so isolated Forest in PS (no mean feat with that wild hair of his) and used a gradient mask and g-blur to mimic a shallower DOF.

Constructive criticism more than welcome (as long as it doesn’t involve purchasing a multi-thousand-dollar lens better suited to the assigned task :wink: ).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic shots and story.

Look tells the whole thing......Poor kid. Played so hard.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Love these shots, they tell a real story. Good color saturation and focus. The last shot tells it all.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well you can tell him for me ...He played a great game.. You captured it so well.

Go get some hot wings :>)))))))

what a great memory Book you have :>))

Thank you for sharing.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice series of shots there Thos....
    Goalies are a interesting subject to photograph.. and to be around too :biggrin:
    One question, why no gloves on the boy?
    Also one other question, since you wanted a shutter speed of 1/1000 why not use S priority and set it for it? For sports I always use S Priority.

7. Your right Dave.

If his dad had bought him a pair of those big goalie gloves, I bet he could have just about got to that last one. :wink:

8. Well, let’s see… I’m dyslexic and, when given half a chance, will always do things bass ackwards just to bug logical people like you :biggrin: Actually, I choose "A" priority because I wanted to assure myself that the aperture was in the middle “sweeter” zone of my modest lens and was willing to let the shutter speed fluctuate around 1/1000 second to stop the action. As it turned out, with the lighting (i.e., good and strong) at the “bright” end of the field during this shoot, "S" priority would have accomplished essentially the same thing (e.g., all these shots were either 1/1000 or 1/1250 sec at f8). For some of the earlier shots at the other end of the field I let the shutter creep down to 1/500 sec (but the “backlighting” at that end made for less than impressive images).

Thanks for looking and commenting.

9. Guilt Ridden

Jeesh; now I feel really guilty. If not for my negligent fathering, my son would have had his first shutout :Depressed

Actually, we live in a small town in northern California (population around 3,000, not one traffic light in the entire county and certainly no stores that carry “goalie gloves”). When Forest and I went shopping for clothes just before school/soccer season (two plus hours of driving) we found soccer shoes but no gloves that came close to fitting :frown:

But when I think about it, those gloves would have likely ruined that last heart-wrenching shot that made this whole series work. Fellas, we’re first and foremost photographers; let’s keep our priorities straight here shall we :Wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2005