1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The correct sharpening method !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Desmond, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Today I used a file ! :biggrin:

zsharpening002.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Should've used a sharpening stone....:tongue::tongue::tongue:

3. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Now that's a noif mate!

4. GH41

GH41

Nov 18, 2008
    HHI
    "Should've used a sharpening stone"
    With one exception those look like tools used to chop and slash. A fine edge would be wasted in no time. My brother worked on tugboats and worked with ropes as big around as your leg. They sharpend their knives on a concrete block. They ended up with what looked like a fine toothed saw that make short work of cutting rope. GH

5. Not to put too fine a point on it:biggrin:, but the angle at which you sharpen your knife determines the 'fineness' of the edge. I have knives that look similar to those that, in a former life, I used for butchering/portioning/filleting bluefin tuna.

6. Looks like some sharpening artifacts on that lower one!

7. I will venture a guess that you don't shave with those instruments.

8. That's exactly my reasoning ! With a 'rough' sharp edge , especially the lower one , they rip through things like the hard vines that hang around in the trees .

In this case they were intentional :tongue:

I can shave a bit of hair off my arm with either one of them once they are sharpened but generally - no , I don't shave with them on purpose :smile:

9. Very puny. You could end up in the punitentiary.

Les

10. so im guessing youve shaved with them accidently :tongue:

11. There's a reason why I have artificial ears :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.