The Cream Machine meets Tiffanie!!

Discussion in 'People' started by Jetta32696, May 21, 2007.

1. Well this was a pretty busy weekend for me... I had a shoot with a model I met a few months back name Tiffanie that got cut short because of the rain. My niece was in a play at school - so I was stuck watching 2-4 year olds singing, reciting poems, and having a fashion show for 4 long hours on Sunday. :mad:

Anyway the better part of the weekend however short the shoot was, was spent with Tiffanie, and in less than an hour I gave the Cream Machine and the Beast a nice little workout.

This is my first awesome shot (at least in my eyes) with the Cream Machine and now I've seen firsthand how it got it's name... Taken with my D70 and 85 1.4 @ f/1.4 not sure what shutter speed, but somewhere between 125 and 200...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you all think?

2. A fine looking lady and the lens did her justice. Well taken shot Keith.

3. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Keith,

Lovely lady and great lighting and comp. The white BG in #1 is nice except for the bar across the top. I find it distracting. Great crop (et al) on #2.

Mike

4. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    She's a lovely model and these are nice, but I think they would have been even better at f/2.8 or even f/4.

I don't quite understand the reason everyone seems to love this lens at f/1.4. On a crop body unless you're shooting full length the DOF is way too thin IMHO. Plus we all know that every lens performs just a little better @ 2/3 to 1 stop off the floor. Don't get me wrong, these are fine images, but I think if you're honest and take a hard look at the full size print file, you'll find they would be better even at f/2.8.

I don't mean to go off on you individually Keith, I just don't get the attraction to shooting portraits at f/1.4 unless you're in super low light. YMMV.

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Keith, these are awesome man. How did you manage that awesome glow behind her head? Thats absolutley perfect!

6. Well done Keith! Beautiful model, beautiful pics.

7. Thank you Gordon. I haven't done much shooting at 1.4, actually I've been afraid to...these shots were actually taken by mistake... :) I like the way they came out, and was just happy to have my subject in focus.

Thanks Mike! Believe it or not, the white in the background is glare from buildings on the water behind Tiffanie. It's a bit distracting I agree, but it sure is Creamy... :biggrin:

Scott, I agree with you about stopping down a bit. As mentioned these were taken by mistake as I wouldn't typically shoot at 1.4 outdoors, however it worked (for me) in this case. I haven't used the 85 at 1.4 enough to "love it" wide open, but every so often I get lucky. No offense taken as far as your opinion, as I said I agree with you. :)

Thanks for commenting. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Joshua!! I didn't really do much for the glow...it just happened that way with light on the water. I just go outside and shoot and don't realize many of the things others point out in my photos as I'm shooting them, and that's mainly why I post here. I'm sure there is something "technically" wrong with each of the photos, but I was so happy to have a keeper shooting at 1.4 I had to share...

Thanks alot Anthony!!

8. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Wow! I just love the creamy bokeh. Nice captures Keith.

I have 2 comments.

Comment 1 is that I have to agree with Scott on shooting portraits wide open which you have already explained.

My 2nd comment is that in available light photography I normally sacrifice having the subject to look at the light (to get a good catchlight) at the expense of looking at the camera. My personal preference really. :wink:

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I love them both Keith. The shoot may have been cut short, but you came away with nice images anyway.

10. The pose on the first one seems a touch awkward to me, as if there is some hesitation (maybe caused by the shoulders??). The resulting bokeh of your composition is outstanding though.
    Now, the second image I find to be as good as it gets Keith. A very pretty portrait of this charming lady - outstanding!

11. Thanks alot!! I'm not much of an available light photographer Banhup, but the flash was overkill on the first few shots I took. I've definitely got alot to learn about available light shooting. You really need to come here and teach us a thing or two!!!

Thank you Fred! I will post some more later today - the Beast got more of a workout!!! :biggrin:

I agree with you Frits, Tiff does look a bit awkward, I didn't really notice that at first. We were a bit rushed, and while I edited the photos much time was spent removing rain spots, and I may not have paid close enough attention to the shot itself. Thanks for pointing that out.