The Creative Strobist

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 21, 2007.

1. It's great fun reading Dave Hobby's on-assignment series, and follow his creative meandering. He takes a giant leap today, using his new compact digicam (Canon G7) in Strobist-mode.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/06/on-assignment-on-vacation.html

I perked up when I saw his results, because Nancy owns a Canon a710is, which is the G7's little brother.

I figured I could use its internal flash to trigger an SB800 in dumb slave mode (SU4), but it seemed inappropriate to mate a digicam with a flash that's twice its size and more expensive. Then I remembered the inexpensive optical slave units I bought last summer. I dusted off a Vivitar DF200 and gave it a try.

First I mounted it in a cold shoe, but size 13s take up too much space.

View attachment 101991

Then I remembered it came with a little stand.

View attachment 101992

Who says Strobism has to be expensive. The DF200 only cost me $70, and has everything I need in a slave flash.

Guide number of 92 @ a 100 ISO equivalent
    4 selectable power levels
    Lens coverage from 28mm to 105mm
    330 degree swivel and 90 degree vertical bounce
    Built in optical trigger

I tried it out on my resident victim subject, Nancy, holding the camera in my right hand, and the flash in my outstretched left hand.

View attachment 101993

As you can see from the reflections in Nancy's glasses in this 100% crop, the onboard flash successfully triggered the remote slave, which sync'ed with the camera's shutter.

View attachment 101994

Bingo! I have my lightweight vacation rig :smile:.

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    nobody believes this trick when i tell 'em... looks like it worked nicely for you too. nice

3. DougD50

DougD50

Aug 29, 2006
    Uncle Frank,

Looks like you need to join Strobist Anonymous,:biggrin: .... I've been reading the Strobist Blog and I think I'm getting hooked on this off camera lighting stuff as well.

4. I tried out the off-camera flash trick with an oldie but goodie... my Nikon Coolpix 995. I've kept it because of its macro abilities, and haven't used it for people pics for ages. But I love its image quality, so I gave it a go with the Vivitar DF200.

5. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    Very nice post and this DF200 is very interesting as a quite portable and easy to use flash. If I needed another (which I don't) this might be a very capable flash to use as a hairlight/backlight in more complex setups (2 - 3 light setups) and as a primary in an ultralight setup as you describe here!

Thanks for the information!