The Cube

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
This is a set of pictures that I was all set to do just before the Covid lockdown here in Italy. It has been delayed because I was stuck at home and then again because I had no wish to visit a cemetery.

I wanted to explore the differences in prospective that my three shift lenses give me. I wanted to play with different angles of view trying to get away from those frontal views.

The cube shaped Ossario in the San Cataldo Cemetery in Modena, by Aldo Rossi seemed a perfect subject to experiment with. This piece of Post Modern Architecture inaugurated in 1987 is part of a project that was never fully completed. It is now in need of a coat of paint on the outside. It is considered this important Italian Architect's masterpiece.

I also photographed the entrance to the Cemetery with its corridor of concrete slab columns. Here again I wanted to play with different angles.

The Photographer's Ephemeris was useful in getting the timing of sun lighting right. This is a really great App that saves a lot of petrol.

When I got home it was interesting to compare this set of pictures with a previous set I shot on the EM5 using IBIS instead of a tripod. Using the shift lenses which take some time to set up, as the camera must be dead level seem to give me a far more formal and studied air to the pictures on the whole. I was also pleased to learn that DXO defishes automatically and nicely the shots I took with my new(old) 16mm Fisheye. It almost makes my old Sigma 12-24 redundant.

If you like taking pictures of Architecture, picking up al least an old Nikon 28PC is a great investment. They can be found quite cheaply, but make sure it is Ai and not the older mount to avoid camera damage. I have a 24mm Samyang, that is OK but suffers some distortion. The Nikon 28PC and the 35mm PC are still very valid lenses. These lenses take all the hit and miss out of the framing. Keystone correction is ok for slight corrections, but I never seem to leave enough space around the subject when I correct more extreme keystoning.

NCV_1224_DxOsmall-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_5195_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_1232_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_5218_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_1276_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_1239_DxOsmall_DxO.jpg

DSC_5316_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_5280_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_5273_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_5250_DxOsmall.jpg

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume it's not a hole and, instead, is enclosed in glass or plexiglass or something similar.
No there is no covering to the central hole in the roof. It rains on the enclosed courtyard. I guess this is so the spirits of the deceased can float unhindered up to heaven.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! The PC lens really makes a difference. Software perspective correction just isn’t the same.
I think using a shift lens does give a different "look". I have not compared optical key stone correction to PP key stone correction side by side. But composing is much easier, even if getting the shot set up takes a lot of time, due to getting the camera level.

I have great fun with these lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom