1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Curse of HDR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ron Scubadiver, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Lately I am seeing a lot of really garish HDR landscape images on flickr. It seems like 30% to 40% of all landscapes are getting this treatment, at least in the compulsory award groups. Those are the post 1 award 5 or get banned pools.

They are all starting to look the same to me with wildly over-saturated colors. I swear if I wake up some day and the world looks like that to me I am going to ask for a ride to the ER for a psych evaluation.

My belief is the system at flickr where photos are displayed as thumbnails is partially at fault as users believe they gain an advantage by having extreme colors that stand out. For a while I was fooled by this. Now I have to spend extra time to find the stuff that is not done this way.

All photographs involve some alteration of reality, but for me, this is an unpleasant alteration. There are beautiful HDR images out there, but this is making them hard to find.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

2. Joves

Joves

Feb 10, 2009
    Nowhereland
    Im not a great fan of HDR but, I believe it is mostly for the reasons you stated. Now good HDR I can appreciate but, it seems that there is alot of over saturation and, manipulation that is going on out there with regular photos as well. I hope it is a short term fad to tell the truth. Also I remember when some complained about Velvia being to saturated. While I liked it for some subjects, I didnt like using it all the time.

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    30% to 40%, that's only because you haven't looked good enough :tongue:

Oh and yeah I basically hate the whole HDR fad …

4. I agree, I am seeing it everywhere and even when unnecessary. It gives a certain wow factor to the typical uninformed viewer, but also that same wow factor can be also given for a over saturated cartoon episode of sponge bob square pants.

We've all tried it. I haven't processed one in over a year using HDR. It is almost like a right of passage now for people. We've all tried it, and we've all moved on and are almost annoyed by it now.

5. I've never attempted HDR or Topaz Adjust and never will. To me that oversaturated look is just too much, and I've seen some absolutely hideous HDR images (not so much on here, but on other sites). Let's hope that this fad passes quickly!!!!!!

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Same here. Never jumped on the Dave Hill bandwagon (though his personnal film work is very good) and never will.

7. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    +1

I've seen some very nicely done HDR so not to take anything away from that method of doing things, but a lot of it looks gawd awful to me.

8. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    i have never been a fan of HDR
    i have never even tried to create one myself.

i have however seen a few well done ones on this forum

9. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    this is the type of HDR that i like: http://www.lonelywolf.pl/

unfortunately, for every photographer who's doing it "right" there's a thousand of people who do it "wrong". I've only done HDR a few times, but I'm only happy with one result, because it doesn't look like sugar coated plastic.

10. Agreed. I'm not much into HDR. I've done a grand total of one about three years ago and that was it. I also do not like garish, over-saturated colors.

11. I don't understand the issue with HDR. Isn't it really just an attempt to make a photograph look more like the scene would to the human eye? The human eye being able to perceive about 14 stops with a fixed pupil size vs about 9 stops for a camera. Is it just a matter of being used to the traditionally low dynamic range of photographs and resisting change? Or do the folks who take it over the top throw you off from the concept of HDR completely?

12. You are NOT alone! If the world looks like HDR I'll check the label on last nights wine!!! I'd hazard a guess that maybe, just maybe, 5% of all HDR are realistically done! Bah humbug--:rolleyes: :Curved:

13. It's NOT the increased range but the GARISH colors that turn my stomach sour and me off! :D izzy:

14. OK. The issue is not HDR, but as said, it's overdone, over-saturated HDR. When the scene requires it, because it is done to increase the dynamic range to "reality", then it's fine. Unfortunately the fad is over the top.

15. Right, I understand that the overdone HDR can be a turn off. My question is more directed toward the folks who said they dont care for HDR at all.

16. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Last time I stepped out to see the real world my eyes did not see things like this :

3521418198_42edb8261b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

17. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    ^ Yeah there's waaaaay too much of that. They overdo it to the point that there's NO contrast left AT ALL in the entire photo. Highlights and shadows are all within a stop or two of each other and it's like a cartoon or something.

18. it looks good in B&W because there is no color to over-saturate (duh!).

Thank goodness I am not alone on this. Too bad I can't buy a spray to eradicate it.

19. garyosborne

garyosborne Guest

+1 HDR is not the problem it's the over enthusiastic tone mapping

20. Beer works--taken internally, frequently and early--or wine or whiskey! n a pinch loud rock music or reggae!!:rolleyes: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.