The Cutting Edge

I think I may have found a new gig for my Nikon 60mm micro.

A friend of mine is a member of a knife club... a large group of well heeled collectors. He was showing me some of precious
blades when I came up with the idea of photographing rare knives, not documentary for insurance purposes, but for
framable prints. He lent me a few rare specimens to test the concept.

48854831.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 15096

View attachment 15097

View attachment 15098

I'm making him prints so he can take them to his next club meeting and test the market for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the handsomely pictures of objects I have seen in a long time. By the look it seem you use very soft light.

Wow amazing shots! You can build a career on this :wink:

What lighting did you use? Light-tent?
It might be difficult to bring out the structure in the metall without messing with the reflections!

I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into this series of shots, and it certainly shows. While I'm no expert at the lighting of objects, I can say I like the way they look very much. Also, you can tell your friend that these are some of the most unique, unusual knives I've ever seen, with the green folding knife being my favorite. That one is beyond stunning. Really good job on these Frank. If I was a betting man, I'd say you're going to generate a lot of work from these samples.

Really punchy set of pictures. Personal favourite is the last - got a Pro touch about it, the sort of shot you see hanging on the wall of your local weapons store.

That light tent of yours is going to pay for itself in no time.

Not much more I can add to the complements from the others, your creativity shows in these images. Please keep us posted on how well they are received by the club members. Great job as always, Frank.

Thanks for the feedback, Giles and Michael! I used a light tent for these shots. They were my first efforts at anything like this, and I think I'll be able to improve on them with practice.

Steve S said:
I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into this series of shots, and it certainly shows. While I'm no expert at the lighting of objects, I can say I like the way they look very much. Also, you can tell your friend that these are some of the most unique, unusual knives I've ever seen, with the green folding knife being my favorite. That one is beyond stunning. Really good job on these Frank. If I was a betting man, I'd say you're going to generate a lot of work from these samples.

I'll pass on your comments to Ed, Steve, and am sure he'll be delighted that you like his lovlies. It would be terrific if these samples generated some business, as I'm still saving up for the d200 and a few lenses ;).

simonramsden said:
Really punchy set of pictures. Personal favourite is the last - got a Pro touch about it, the sort of shot you see hanging on the wall of your local weapons store.

That light tent of yours is going to pay for itself in no time.

The last one is my favorite, too, Simon, but it took much more work than the others, and would have to command a good price to be worth the effort.

The light tent was a great investment! It's already paid for itself 4 times over from product work.

eng45ine said:
Not much more I can add to the complements from the others, your creativity shows in these images. Please keep us posted on how well they are received by the club members. Great job as always, Frank.

Thanks, Frank! I'll keep you updated on the commercial success of this little venture. I'm thinking of framing one or two of them, so they make a bigger impact when Ed takes them to the next knife club meeting.

Well done Frank. I too really like the diffuse light that you get with that tent. To be honest, I'd rather do this kind of photography than weddings. The subjects don't get really mad at you if you mess up a shot or two. :rolleyes:

Flew said:
Well done Frank. I too really like the diffuse light that you get with that tent. To be honest, I'd rather do this kind of photography than weddings. The subjects don't get really mad at you if you mess up a shot or two. :rolleyes:

But they don't give you kisses and hugs if you get a good shot :cool:.

Uncle Frank said:
But they don't give you kisses and hugs if you get a good shot :cool:.

Well, I typically photograph knives with beautiful women, but I'm still not sure you want hugs and kisses. :biggrin:

This model is Tarah, the knife is a hand made Daryl Hibben: Damascassed steel blade, similar folding of three shades of brass for the guard, and the handle (not visible in this picture, sorry) is crabapple burl. (Link only, it might be glamour, it might be bikini, I'm not sure, so I'll play it safe).
http://www.pbase.com/the_wiz/image/20251108/large.jpg

This is Kym with a replica (limited edition) Kit Rae. (link only, because of nudity)
http://www.pbase.com/the_wiz/image/22996288.jpg

Kym with a sword from Toledo, Spain. (more nudity)
http://www.pbase.com/the_wiz/image/22996289.jpg

Rilyn with a limited edition set of Tom Amderson, well, whatever Tom calls those things. (Nudity, again)
http://www.swissarmyfork.com/gallery1/figure/fight/slides/2005-03-03-0573.jpg

Joseph S. Wisniewski said:
Well, I typically photograph knives with beautiful women, but I'm still not sure you want hugs and kisses. :biggrin:

Trust me, with those models, I'd take the risk :Crunk:

Latest threads

Top Bottom