The D-Flector in available light

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by fjp, Jun 26, 2005.

1. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    I've had my ups and downs with the D-Flector being used with a flash. After discussing this with several people on this forum, I've come to the conclusion to really get the correct results, I need to use at least one more flash fired remotely.

Now I have to make a confession. When I first saw the D-Flector advertised in Popular Photography, I immediately thought I recognized the device that would serve what I always wished I had: a readily accessible, plain white background for available light photography of small objects and house plants with small flowers. I wasn't thinking, flash photography. So I ordered it and immediately realized that I could probably get spectacular photos if I used a flash. That's when I discovered I would need at least two flashes.

So today I went back to my original idea of using this device under available light, just to see how it would do. I prepared a detailed gallery explaining and illustrating my results. I put a lot of work into this and so I hope interested parties will visit it and take a look. The gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/fjp/df_2005_06_jun_26

Here is a photo of my setup using the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 Di Macro to photograph an African Violet plant, with the light coming in through a window behind the camera:

45331549.df013.

This worked pretty well with this plant. Here is my best results, with others very similar which you can see for yourself up on the gallery:

45332326.df010.

Then I decided to see what I could do with small objects I wanted to make look like they were floating in mid-air. I was less successful in achieving this. First here is the setup, which uses the 105mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor:

45336590.df019.

Here are two images from this setup that I wanted to appear like they were "floating in mid-air." The first is a failure, the second, more of a success that just needs a little touching up with Photoshop.

45337004.df016.
    45337005.df022.

The bottom line is, I found my solution for photographing my miniature flowers, but will need a second remote flash for making things "float".

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great stuff. Alot of work and time.

going to go look now. Looked at the others by the way. Great detailed discriptions.

Thank you.

The violet is beautiful.

3. fjp

fjp

Mar 18, 2005
    Thanks for the appreciation. It sounds like you have an inkling of how much I slaved over these galleries. It was excruciating today. The response of pbase was beyond agonizingly slow. I don't understand how these images just pop up in this site, as they're going back to pbase to get them, right?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well after looking at all of this. I think this is not something I will do anytime soon. :>))

Thank you for all of your work and sharing.

I found this very interesting.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Have you tried this with the light coming in at a 45 degree angle to one side?

6. Frank,

I like the setup. My wife collects teapots and she wants me to
    take photos of all of them. I hope I can find the time to do that.

Your setup has given me a few ideas.

Ray

7. Looks o.k., especially if you are after this highkey-like stuff.
    But most of all I like that little tripod. What brand is it?
    cheers

8. What's that Nikon device attached to your flash shoe? What do you use it for?

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Fantastic flower shots!

The glass ball, however, is reflecting the lens and lens shade.

Thanks for the work you put into this.

10. Frank I love the picture of the african violet. Your small tripod seem to be made in wood, or is it, I want to know too what make it is.